MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Adding some new roads to my Highways

Posted 04-25-2019 11:45
    Hi, I'm having problems, I have to add some new roads into my Highways network which is completely new to me. using mapinfo Pro 17 and routefinder 5

I've been given the appropriate tab file with the addtional pieces of road and have put them into the main Highways set, have used the i tool to edit the fields for the sections to what I think they should be based on the adjoining roads.  Save it all, and  then closed it and recreated the network, it all looks pefect on the map but the routing software won't use any of the new sections.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing, have tried using the analyser tools in Routefinder as best I cant to see if there are any link issues but can't find any.

Mike

------------------------------
    Mike Hemming
    NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS
    Pontypool

• 2.  RE: Adding some new roads to my Highways

Employee
    Posted 04-25-2019 14:19
    Hi Mike

Thanks for sharing your problems. We are here to assist you in best possible way we can. Can you please answer two queries which are listed below:
    Queries
    1. Did the snap was done on node to node (old and new) so that the new ones are not hanging segments? 
    2. Did you try point to point routing making use of old and new segments to route i.e. putting one point on old (brown line as depicted in figure below) and other point on new segment (yellow line as depicted in figure below) and tried to create route? If route is not created, linkage might not exists between old and new.

3. If answer to above two queries is Yes, I would request you to share sample file comprising new (which you joined to the existing network) and old road segments please so that I can replicate issue at my end and help you provide resolution.

Dr Neena Priyanka
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida

• 3.  RE: Adding some new roads to my Highways

Posted 04-26-2019 06:08
    Hi Mike,

Further to Neena's response above, you will need to ensure the node in your original highway network that you are connecting your new road to is a start / end node.

If you connect the new road to a node that is not a start or end node then RouteFinder won't be able to route using the junction.

It may be the case you have to add a new node to the original network and then split the polyline at that new one.

In my (very) simple example above, the left image shows the original link (selected) with the new road adjoining.  This won't route down the blue link as the original network is not split at the connecting node.  The right image shows the original link that has been split at the connecting node, and selecting the original link shows that it now ends at the connecting node.  This will now route down the blue link.

Hope that helps!

Regards

Darren

Darren White
    Derbyshire County Council
    MATLOCK

• 4.  RE: Adding some new roads to my Highways

Posted 04-26-2019 10:21
    Thanks Neena and Darren, both your answers helped a lot in putting a newcomer onto the right track.  Once I was able to see the nodes properly and the properties of the sections of road I could see that there were indeed hanging nodes where ther shouldn't be, sections with junction nodes where there shouldn't be, and overpasses thant weren't defined.  It was left over from a previous dataset where some of the roads had still been under construction.

I think all is good now

Thanks
    Mike

Mike Hemming
    NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS
    Pontypool

• 5.  RE: Adding some new roads to my Highways

Employee
    Posted 04-27-2019 11:42
    Hi Mike

It's great to know that your query is resolved. If you need further help, do not hesitate to reach out.

Happy Learning!

Dr Neena Priyanka
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida