MapInfo Pro Developers User Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is anyone in the United States using Postgre SQL and PostGIS for multi-user editing of MapInfo data?

• 1.  Is anyone in the United States using Postgre SQL and PostGIS for multi-user editing of MapInfo data?

Posted 10-30-2018 18:33

• 2.  RE: Is anyone in the United States using Postgre SQL and PostGIS for multi-user editing of MapInfo data?

Employee
    Posted 11-06-2018 08:46

Hi Craig, are you looking to just engage with other users or do you have a specific PostGre SQL\PostGIS db question?

MIPro has supported this RDBMS for several years.

-Bill

• 3.  RE: Is anyone in the United States using Postgre SQL and PostGIS for multi-user editing of MapInfo data?

Posted 11-06-2018 09:48

Bill

I understand it is supported but I am looking for some support to get started. I was the only GIS person here for 4 years and now I have help! But we are starting to run into each other editing GIS background datasets. We are also looking at bidding for another 811 Call Before You Dig center and all the GIS staff would be here in Boise, ID. I had done MS SQL Server work 2003 and 2008 versions but have yet to jump into the Postgre world. Our management is such that I would need to lay out the case and the time involved to bring this environment up and into production. That is why I was looking for a US based client that I could call for an hour and get my questions answered. My other option would be to edit the data using another SQL based product like ArcGIS or QGIS...

• 4.  RE: Is anyone in the United States using Postgre SQL and PostGIS for multi-user editing of MapInfo data?

Employee
    Posted 11-06-2018 10:14

The actual Postgre Database is setup by one of our IT folks in the UK for Engineering use. I don't know if I could be of much help in your server setup due to your own network or security requirements, etc. They often vary by site. More oftnen that not our IT guys just export the existing db's from an earlier version, setup a new server instance, and import everything up to the new DB server.

The consumers of these Postgre db's here set up their own clients using the x64 Unicode driver and respective DSN's, etc. Once connected, we use the MapInfoEasyLoader tool to upload tables to the PostGIS database and then we can access these spatial tables in MIPro like other RDB tables in SQL Server, Oracle, etc.

I hope another member of the user community is listening if you need help in setting up the actual PostGIS server itself.