UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Posted 12-19-2017 11:39

Hi, can anyone explain to me (me in step by step laymans terms) how to use your free credits on the MapInfo Pro Global Geocoder please. It says I have 1000 credits but in the MapInfo user guide its not clear how to use it. I assume import an excel file containing a series of address fields and then........?

• 2.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Employee
    Posted 12-19-2017 06:46

Hi Sarah

Good Question!!

Please find below details for reference.

A standard license comes with 1000 credits per month and advanced licenses come with 2000 per month for the geocoding. Paid plans are available for additional 10,000 or 20,000 credits per month, which a user can upgrade anytime by clicking the Upgrade Plan link on the Pro Tab. However, the most important thing is those credits, which are unused & cannot be rolled over to the next month.

Based on the accuracy levels of geocoding services, different amounts of credits are charged as per the usage: City/Postcode level : 1 credit will be charged per table row processing; Moreover, for the Street/Rooftop level - 5 credits will be charged for the same.

Hope this helps!

-Thanks

• 3.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Employee
    Posted 12-19-2017 06:51

If you need visual step-by-step guidance on how to use this service, please let us know.

Also, we are about to publish video with step-by-step guidance on "How to Use PB Cloud Geocode Service using MapInfo Pro" very soon and will share link once available.

• 4.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Posted 12-19-2017 08:00

Hi Sarah

If you are geocoding to Postcode level, I would recommend just using the free OS Code-Point Open data and save your credits. However, the 5 credits will get you to the individual address using OS AddressBase Premium and that is good.

Yes, use an Excel spreadsheet of addresses but it will need to be saved as a native MapInfo table, as this will be updated with results or the address corrected (if you want that option). On the Spatial ribbon locate the Geocode button - this expands to standard Geocode or Geocode using Server. Click on the second option and follow the options from the Dialog to select your table. The next dialog has lots and lots more options and this is where you may need to refer to the Help system.

Hopefully that points you in the right direction...

• 5.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Posted 12-19-2017 08:32

Here's an article on how to use the onboard service. http://pbi.bz/2AZPsIH

• 6.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Posted 12-19-2017 09:15

Thanks all - should have mentioned its Pan-European addresses? Im looking at geocoding excluding UK, from web-scraping retailer store finders!

I use gps visualiser with a google api key, alteryx geocoder and now having a look within MapInfo - they all give so many varying results in terms of precision/accuracy & in most cases "non accuracy at all"

• 7.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Posted 12-19-2017 09:57

If you need accuracy Sarah you really should check out the PB offering. We regularly win bake-offs against competitors, and virtually every insurance company and the social media platforms we all use are PB clients. End of sales pitch!

• 8.  RE: Global Geocoder - MapInfo Pro v16

Posted 12-19-2017 11:09

Yep, PB use the best in class for each country - and it does differ country to country. The MapInfo geocoder will score the results on how well it gets an address match, so you will see whether the result is good or poor. All down to the address data you have to work with, of course.