Data360 Analyze

View Only
  • 1.  Scheduling

Posted 03-23-2017 17:31

Hi,

Not sure if I've missed something but it seems that it is not possible to configure the full range of scheduling options one might need with the new automation capability. In CRON you can simply configure several options/use cases you might want to consider:

• Run at 9am Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (but not Saturday and Sunday)
    • CRON: 0 9 * * 1,2,3,4,5

Or something that we have a client that currently configures multiple runs (which they find cumbersome) to enable it:

• Run at 9am, 1pm and 4pm, Monday Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (but not Saturday & Sunday)
    • CRON: 0 9,13,16 * * 1,2,3,4,5

In LAE 6.1 you can actually achieve these using the webservices commands as the underlying technology used supports the configuration, but the interface seems not to support a more realistic scheduling requirement and only simplistic requirements.

Perhaps the interface could be updated to support more complex configuration options (or documentation on how to achieve it now, as I can't see how you can, provided). Or even a "advanced" tab that allows for CRON commands to be entered directly (enabling the full functionality rather than hiding it).

• 2.  RE: Scheduling

Employee
    Posted 03-27-2017 02:07

Hi Michael,

The scheduling functionality's 'Weekly' interval option allows you to specify the days of the week that the data flow should be run, together with the time the run should be started:

• 3.  RE: Scheduling

Posted 03-27-2017 02:33

Thanks Adrian,

Ok, but then you need to enter the parameters each time rather than just define one schedule with one set of parameters. Each schedule is also separately represented/grouped so that when inspecting results you need to investigate each schedule. Doesn't seem like a lot of effort for 1 or 2 but maybe more challenging for multiple data flows with multiple schedules each, then what if the parameters change? A lot of extra maintenance just because you have to create a different schedule to satisfy a more complex scheduling requirement.

• 4.  RE: Scheduling

Employee
    Posted 04-11-2017 03:04

Hi Michael,

I will raise your request for the ability to use a custom cron expression with Engineering as a candidate future enhancement. 

The current method achieve this would be to leverage the REST API to create a task to schedule the execution of a data flow.

Regards,

Adrian

• 5.  RE: Scheduling

Employee
    Posted 04-11-2017 05:05

Michael, Adrian,

A small point on using the REST API to create schedules with more complex cron settings:

Note that the UI cannot be used to edit schedules created using the REST API. The REST API must be used for all updates to the scheduled definition. The schedule status (enabled/disabled) and runs associated with the REST API schedules can be viewed in the UI.

Mark

• 6.  RE: Scheduling

Posted 05-21-2020 13:31

I do not see any enhancements to the scheduling and wanted to check. We have the requirement to run every 2 hours between 8 am and 5 pm M-F. I am currently setting up 5 scheduled jobs. Fortunately I have parameter sets so I can read in the parameters and don't have to enter them manually anymore.

• 7.  RE: Scheduling

Employee
    Posted 05-22-2020 03:33

The scheduling has not been enhanced to support additional options such as the use of a CRON expression. However, you could leveage the Execute Data Flow node that is available in v.3.6.2 in a 'driver' data flow to execute a 'main' data flow only when the required date + time conditions are correct. The driver data flow could then be scheduled to run hourly.

An example of the driver data flow is attached (requires v.3.6.2). 

Attached files

Run DF at Date and Time Data - 22 May 2020.lna