MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Posted 10-02-2017 22:41

As a Council we really need the ability to batch print maps such as our District Plan, which comprises 243 maps covering Urban, Rural and flood maps. Our DP is updated regularly and currently is very quick to update and replace specific maps and or areas using batch printing with merge templates etc.

Currently we use Discover to do this but as this is now a third party product this will most likely be dropped from our licences.

In our opinion batch printing functionality is and should be inherent to the MapInfo Professional Product. In the past this functionality was provided by Mapshop as an add on to MapInfo Pro which was integrated with Discover when Encom was acquired.

The MapInfo Professional product really needs this functionality available again, either through a 64 bit plugin, integrated or Inherent to the application.

This needs to be added to the road map for MIPro 64 bit.

cheers

• 2.  RE: Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Employee
    Posted 10-03-2017 04:14

I agree, Peter.

With v17.0 we are implementing Layout Templates which is the basis for creating predefined user output. This does however not include "MapShop-like" capabilities which still is on the roadmap.

Looking the the Map Replica Tool mentioned here, there seems to be a lot of features to be considered: https://li360.pitneybowes.com/s/question/0D58000003gTcXSCA0/map-replica-tool-mrt

What are the main features you would expect in a MapShop tool besides zooming and centering on records?

• 3.  RE: Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Posted 10-04-2017 17:26
      |   view attached

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the information on the MRT?, it's quite comprehensive and I can see how it would be useful for a consultancy.

For us the features we would need are much less.

Features as you have mentioned printing from a grid of locations, merge points for numbering from the grid ids, scale bar, Text blocks from either the grid or simply within the template, including location. synced overview map windows embedded within the template, logo, date, printing to merged PDF, ability to print a single map sheet or combination of map sheets. Ability to include legend as needed,

In our District Plan Maps legend and overview index map sheets are produced once for the entire run if needed. 

DPExampleHeader

Above image from our District Plan maps - - which was produced by a consultancy and which I have replicated as best I can using MIPro

So there's nothing really out of the ordinary I would be expect to be able to do.

cheers

• 4.  RE: Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Employee
    Posted 10-05-2017 02:56

Thanks, Peter.

Very helpful and kind of what I would expect.

What do you mean by: "merge points for numbering from the grid ids"?

We might very well reach out to you when we start looking into "automated printing"

Thanks again.

• 5.  RE: Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Posted 10-18-2017 00:27

?Hi Peter,

Merge points from grid ids, the map number within the location grid attributes, so on the template it would be on the right hand side the map number. And just off to the right of the centre of the map you can see an R number, this is from a secondary grid of rural map locations / numbers.

cheers

• 6.  RE: Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Posted 10-24-2017 21:11

Great to see PB actively thinking along these lines. I support @Peter van Dijk? 's expression that this is an important feature.

• 7.  RE: Batch printing from templates with merge in MIPro

Posted 10-31-2017 00:33

+1 for this idea. A dynamic MapBook generation utility is definitely needed.