Precisely Enterworks

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

• 1.  Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-16-2020 16:22
    Hi everyone. 2 questions for this forum:
    1) Have you tried creating audit reports which detail the users that logged in over a period of time, what they edited in the system, etc.?
    2) Have you tried rolling back a job? I did a bulk edit of multiple records and something bad occurred. My only option seemed to be going to each record individually and hitting rollback. Hard to do for 4k+ records!

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Sidd Shenoy | Senior Director Enterprise Master Data
    Thomson Reuters | (646) 540-2371

• 2.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-19-2020 09:02
    I am not aware of a report that details what the users edit. 

For the roll back-we have used a SQL and item history table with the date /time right before the mass edit happened. I then imported data into the repository where the change was made.

I don't think there is a way to do a roll back for a group of records in the UI.

Natalie Scott | Data Governance & Business Process Manager
    Gourmet Foods International | 40421 04367

• 3.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-19-2020 13:21
    Very helpful! Thank you!

Do you do any kind of usage auditing?

Thomson Reuters | (646) 540-2371

• 4.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-19-2020 13:53
    I do not do any usage auditing, however there is some options we have looked at where we would want to monitor specific attributes and when they were changed. My understanding is you can do that with Change Notifications. I uploaded this attachment that EW team shared with me about this tool.
    https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/WINSHUTTLE/UploadedImages/dcf2d7e2-afc1-4b5c-a649-9b0b6a3fbbd8/ChangeNotificationAdminGuide_2020-01-19.docx

• 5.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-19-2020 14:55
    Much appreciated!

• 6.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-20-2020 09:24
    A bulk roll back feature in the UI would be really helpful. A couple weeks back, I had a 10K+ mistake that took a day to roll back between me and my team. :-(

@Brenda Maxwell... Any chance that you could post a mini-tutorial on how to perform a mass roll back records using SQL? I've only been using SQL for two years so far and, as much as it's helped unlock much more functionality for our system, I've only just scratched the surface.​

Best regards,

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead
    Fender Musical Instruments | 480-845-5823

• 7.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-20-2020 10:28
    We took a SQL script EW had given us for an issue during our implementation and modified for our rollback issue. Based on what we did, I would think it would work for others. I am not a SQL expert so I will do my best to explain what I have below:

select
    itm.attr_data.value('(/Item/F_1004926/node())[1]','varchar(max)') as 'Attribute_Name',
    /*Repeat for all attributes you want returned*/
    from b_repository_item_history itm
    where master_repository_id=10199 and modify_action='update' and ENTRY_DATETIME between'MM/DD/YYYY TT:TT:TT' AND 'MM/DD/YYYY TT:TT:TT'
    --------------------------------------------
    itm.attr_data.value('(/
    • Item/F_1004926/node())[1]','varchar(max)') as 'Attribute_Name',
    • Item=Profile
    • 1004926= Attribute ID found in profile
    • /node())[1]','varchar(max)')--I am not 100% certain about the remainder of script, but all our attributes in the SQL code they gave us finished this way. 

b_repository_item_history itm- I believe this should be the same for everyone. It is where the item changes for all repositories are stored from my understanding. 

master_repository_id=10199 -ID of the repository you want item history from

modify_action='update'- What action took place. If it was a mass update, update should work. We have used with delete as well. 

ENTRY_DATETIME between'MM/DD/YYYY TT:TT:TT' AND 'MM/DD/YYYY TT:TT:TT'- If you know when update occured. We have used with specific internal ids if we knew  a specific group of records that were changed or deleted. 
    -------------------------------------

Hope that helps.

• 8.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 11-12-2020 15:18
    Thanks Natalie! We're using what you shared as a way to pull reports on demand. On a regular basis, we've setup change notifications so we have a daily audit email of all changes made in a given repository.

Thomson Reuters | 6465402371

• 9.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Employee
    Posted 12-06-2020 23:40
    The Services Framework includes a SQL Stored Procedure that will extract repository records (for the list of designated attributes) from the Repository History table based on the designated date and time and the optional search criteria.  The end result is essentially an export of the updates that would need to be submitted as an import to effectively roll back the records to some previous state.  From the stored procedure:

-- The following stored procedure is used to extract historical data from a repository
    -- for specified records and the specified "as of" date.
    -- The following input parameters are expected:
    -- repositoryName - name of the repository
    -- projectionList - comma-delimited list of attributes for which the data is to be extracted
    -- searchKey - comma-delimited list of attributes and values that are used for the search parameters
    -- Each search parameter has the format <attribute>=<value> where <attribute> is the name of
    -- the attribute exactly as it is spelled in the specified repository, and <value> is the
    -- value to be found (the percent sign can be used as a wildcard).
    -- searchSource - h to search against history, m to search against master repository (current values)
    -- asOfDate - date and time in the format 'mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss.mmm' specifying the date/time from which
    -- to obtain the values

--
    -- For example, to extract the Customer Specific Price And Status for Active (at the time) records
    -- Home Depot from the Archbrook_CustomerItemSpecific_Staging repository as it was defined on 9/25/2009 at 12:00 noon,
    -- for the purposes of submitting an import file to restore those prices, execute the following command:
    --
    -- ExtractHistoricalData N'PIM_Item_Staging','Product,User Desc,Memo Expires,Status',
    -- 'Status=a','m','12/12/2010 20:00:00.000'
    --
    --
    -- The procedure will perform a query against the Item History table and extract the specified data for the
    -- specified fields
    --
    -- The results of executing this procedure can be copied/pasted to an Excel spreadsheet and saved to
    -- be used as an import file. This effectively "rolls back" the specified non-primary key fields to their
    -- values at the specified date and time.

-Brian

Brian Zupke | Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Winshuttle North America | 9099009179

• 10.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-21-2020 07:33
    Thanks for the vote of confidence @Jon Varo, but unfortunately, I'm not that versed in SQL rollbacks.  It ​​looks like @Natalie Scott might have it covered!​

Brenda Maxwell | Director Global Product Management
    IDEA | 6787788921

• 11.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-21-2020 09:48
    Ack! My apologies @Natalie Scott. I was responding to another message with Brenda and my wires got crossed apparently.​

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead

• 12.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Employee
    Posted 10-20-2020 12:47
    Sorry folks - was replying in relation to SAP with Winshuttle Studio - not Enterworks. Sorry for the mix up!

Sigrid Kok
    PSE | Winshuttle NA

• 13.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-21-2020 09:42
    The easiest and most straightforward way to support roll backs is to change the way you do mass updates. Instead of using the EW user interface, export the data that requires mass updates to a spreadsheet, save this unchanged version of the spreadsheet to a secure location, update the spreadsheet per your mass update requirements, and import the spreadsheet back into EW. Then, if you need to "roll back" your mass update, simply retrieve the unchanged version of the exported spreadsheet from the secure location and import it into EW.

Steven Thomas | Solutions Architect
    Winshuttle North America | 720-318-6700

• 14.  RE: Audit Reports & Bulk Rollback

Posted 10-21-2020 09:52
    Hi Steven,
    It would be great if you could limit your mass edits to a specified number so that you can continue to use the UI though. And a mass rollback would be an incredible feature to have. Until that time, your option is 100% going to be a part of our process moving forward. The only issue is that we're trying our best to get people AWAY from spreadsheets, not toward them so I'm afraid that we'll be sending mixed messages to our users. Is what it is, I guess. :-)

Thanks,

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead