MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-06-2020 23:19
    We are hoping to use our school buses to mount cellular hotspots around the district in areas where students do not have internet connectivity.  I have the students pinned on the map and in the layout window would like to have a circle that represents a quarter mile radius as that is the coverage of the hotspot. I tried the radius select tool, however it selects rather than just drawing a circle that I can then copy and paste as places where we need to park the buses with the hotspots. Is there a tool in MapInfo Pro that can help me draw a circle that represents a quarter mile radius? 
    Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!! 
    Marty

------------------------------
    Marty Oneill
    LEANDER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
    Leander TX

• 2.  RE: Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-06-2020 23:50
    Hi Marty,

You can use the Ellipse tool to do this.  Make sure your layer is editable (within Layer Control) then create an ellipse anywhere on the map.  Double-click on this to specify the radius.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-07-2020 00:56
    Hi again James! I could not figure out how to specify the radius, i.e. what should I enter for quarter mile, when the dialog box was only in inches. So I found the Create Scale tool, added a scale to the Map, then used the ellipse tool you suggested to draw a circle over the scale at the quarter mile marker. It's probably not super accurate, but it will do for now. Did learn your tip about the ellipse tool and being able to specify the radius. So Thanks!

Marty Oneill
    Leander TX

• 4.  RE: Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-07-2020 01:04
    Hi Marty,

I'm glad I could help this time!  Note that you can change the distance units of your map within "Options", which is available under the Map menu.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-07-2020 08:39
    Hi Marty
    Try the Buffer tool.
    Make a table or Cosmetic Layer editable (this is where the buffers will be created)
    Select all of your points and select .025 mile.
    Make sure you increase the number of segments that create the circle from 12...​
    Option of one buffer per point or one buffer for all points.

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-07-2020 20:09
    Hi Marty,

Typical GIS, their are several ways to create the circles but I found some create rather ragged results.
    I believe the smoothest circles are created using the following method:

Open your bus points table, open the MapBasic window, set map and system units to miles.
    In the MapBasic window type:
    Update filename Set obj = createcircle(centroidx(obj), centroidy(obj), 0.25)
    ​Save and pack table.

Cheers,

David Murphy
    GIS Officer
    Swan Hill Rural City Council
    Swan Hill VIC

• 7.  RE: Drawing a circle that represents a Quarter Mile radius on the layout window

Posted 05-08-2020 09:05
    Thank you, I'll give it a shot!

Marty

Marty Oneill
    Leander TX