MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Posted 03-12-2019 17:48
    Hi there,

I have created a symbol file in  as true type fonts and have it installed in c:/windows/font. I can see it as a symbol option in  MSword  but is not appearing in Mapinfo Pro 16. Just wondering if anyone has come across this and worked out a possible solution?
    BTW - This is the first time I am using Mapinfo intensively - meaning not just converting mapinfo tabs to other formats so that I can use it in AcrGis.

Thank you,

Jimaima

------------------------------
    Jimaima Le Grand []
    [Spatial Scientist]
    [Queensland]

• 2.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Employee
    Posted 03-12-2019 22:37
    Hi Jimaima,

For Custom Symbols in MapInfo Pro 16.0, the default directory location is:

C:\Users\user login name\AppData\Roaming\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1600\CustSymb

If this directory cannot be found, use Windows Search and search for "CustSymb" on the system.

You may also find this video helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NveH2c5VwGA

Regards,

Jon

jon jon
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Posted 03-13-2019 03:44
    Hi Jonjon,

I am adding fonts that are vector based and I need them as that so that they can be scalable and also to rotate them. I was able to add raster symbols using your method but it was not suitable for my application. I know (from some of the older postings (2016)) that you can add true type fonts in the older versions of Mapinfo. Is this option still possible for Mapinfo pro 16?

Jimaima Le Grand []
    [Spatial Scientist]
    [Queensland]

• 4.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Employee
    Posted 03-13-2019 07:13
    Hi Jimaima
    It has to be a TrueType SYMBOL font to appear in MIPro's Font picker.  Is this the case?

Thx,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY

• 5.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Posted 03-13-2019 18:17
    Hi Bill,
    Well it appears in the Ms Word  Symbols picker (And also in the font picker and allows me to use the shortcut keys they were assigned to)  similar to the ESRI files and mapinfo ones that were already installed  and I created using fontforge. 

Not too sure if there is any specific "option" I need to choose when I generated the ttf file to state that it is a symbol. Cannot find anything like that in fontforge - but will look again :)

Jimaima Le Grand []
    [Spatial Scientist]
    [Queensland]

• 6.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Posted 03-13-2019 19:16
    Hi Bill,
    I think that was the issue I did not generate it as that ... true type symbol. Just found that option now.  

Thank you.

Jimaima Le Grand []
    [Spatial Scientist]
    [Queensland]

• 7.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Posted 03-14-2019 08:30
    To be clear, the character set in the font must be of type "SYMBOL" for it to show in the user interface. You can check that the font works via the mapbasic window.  Choose an existing symbol font for a point layer override and you will see the mapbasic generated in the Mapbasic window. Replace the font name with your font. Also you need to know which codes (characters) you have in your font. Generally the first code is for null symbol and is character value 32 (ASCII space). So if your first character is 33, use that number in the mapbasic statement.
    Pro should be able to display your symbol even though it does not show in the UI. ​

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 8.  RE: Customised TTF fonts in Mapinfo Pro 16

Posted 03-20-2019 18:26
    Thank you all for your replies. I now have my customised symbols  as an option in the mapinfo Font picker. :)

Jimaima Le Grand []
    [Spatial Scientist]
    [Queensland]