MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapping Contest - Maps for Fun - Tribute to Andy Warhol

Posted 10-29-2017 22:56

A tribute to Andy Warhol.

This really was done for fun. I took advantage of the powerful raster grid coloring capabilities to create a set of nine map images which take their color scheme from Andy Warhol's famous self portrait.

My method was to take an screen capture of each portrait, copy and paste it into MS Paint and use the little "Dropper" tool so I could capture the RGB values for the colors. I then plugged these into a custom color break table in MapInfo Pro. I created a color break table to match each of the nine portraits. I'm using version 16.0 but this can be done with any of the 64 bit releases, assuming you have a raster grid to work with.

I created nine maps and arranged them in PowerPoint to create the composite image.

@Peter Horsbøll Møller should be able to figure out where the background data came from!

See Attachment Here is the Andy Warhol self-portrait that inspired this.

See Attachment

• 2.  RE: Mapping Contest - Maps for Fun - Tribute to Andy Warhol

Employee
    Posted 10-30-2017 05:17

Very nice but a bit obscure map, @Tom Probert? 

It might be the Danish Digital Elevation model but I just can't seem to locate the precise spot. Maybe because it's hard to determine the scale - I would think each map is around 2 kilometers wide but it might be a little less.

And then the colors reaaly annoy my brain 😵

• 3.  RE: Mapping Contest - Maps for Fun - Tribute to Andy Warhol

Posted 10-30-2017 19:45

Nice idea. explosion of colours 😂

• 4.  RE: Mapping Contest - Maps for Fun - Tribute to Andy Warhol

Employee
    Posted 11-02-2017 05:12

Manual version of https://deepdreamgenerator.com/#gallery ?? 😊