MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo v19 upgrade

Posted 12-10-2019 18:19
    I'm going through the MapInfo v19 installation procedure, but am confused at the point where the installation program has determined that v19 will be installed in 'C:\Program Files\MapInfo\Professional'.

The problem is that this directory currently holds my v17 installation.

My question is, therefore, in order to have both v17 and v19 installed on the same machine, do I have to specify a customized destination folder? This does not seem best practice ... surely it would be better for MapInfo to default to installation locations such as 'C:\Program Files\MapInfo\Professional 17\' and 'C:\Program Files\MapInfo\Professional 19\'?

In the event that I retain the default location for the v19 installation, will the install routine trigger the uninstallation of v17 files?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Matthew Lee
    Deep End Services
    South Yarra

• 2.  RE: MapInfo v19 upgrade

Employee
    Posted 12-10-2019 22:30

Hi Matthew,

The default install path has always been 'C:\Program Files\MapInfo\Professional' for all 64-bit versions.
    Normally you would uninstall v17 before hand and would not have encountered this issue.

MapInfo Pro 2019 is an improved version with all of then v17 functionality and more.
    Below is a list of the main improvements:

• New SQL Window – Find, segment and update your data faster and easier
    • MapInfo Marketplace – Enhance your location analytics with customized apps
    • Map Layout Improvements – Make beautiful maps with new layout improvements via feature parity with 32-bit interface focusing on vector legends and line/fill style enhancements
    • Heat Mapping – Turn your data into insights using new, integrated heat mapping
    • Additional Programming Support – New support for .NET and Python providing more powerful extensions to MapInfo Pro and MapBasic enhancements.
    Additionally there have also been several posts in the MapInfo Pro Community group on some of the minor changes.

If you require to run both versions in parallel for a short period you would need to adjust destination folder as you have found, do not install in the same path.
    We do not recommend running in parallel and would encourage you to move straight onto v2019.

I hope that helps.

Terry Hunt
    Software Support Analyst
    Pitney Bowes
    Sydney, Australia

• 3.  RE: MapInfo v19 upgrade

Posted 12-10-2019 22:35

Thanks Terry, that's all clear.

Can you confirm whether the v19 setup program triggers uninstallation of v17 files if v17 has not yet been uninstalled?

Matthew Lee
    Deep End Services
    South Yarra

• 4.  RE: MapInfo v19 upgrade

Employee
    Posted 12-10-2019 22:50

v2019 does not uninstall v17 - that process only occurs when you upgrade within the same version.

The recommend removeal process for MapInfo Pro (v17) is to use the Control Panel:
    1. Launch the Control Panel and choose the Programs and Features option.
    (On Windows 8, from the Desktop menu, on the Control Panel, point to Programs and Features.)
    2. Right-click on "MapInfo Pro v17.0.x" (64-bit) and select Uninstall from the pop-up menu.

Terry Hunt
    Software Support Analyst
    Pitney Bowes
    Sydney, Australia

• 5.  RE: MapInfo v19 upgrade

Employee
    Posted 12-11-2019 09:27
    The short answer is that the ver 2019 installer will inform you there is an existing install of MIPro in this folder and to choose another directory.  I run v16, 17, and 19 on same machine all the time from their respective folders. 

Regards

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY