MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Posted 10-27-2017 04:24
      |   view attached

Hi, I created this street directory map in 2014 March using PB's products suite, including MapInfo Pro V12 (32 bit), Engage and Engage 3D.

There are always lots of demands for a city street map, road directory map as such from Internal and External customers, although everyone has access to Google Map or a phone app, a decent size of paper map like A1 and A0 on the wall is still very useful and more visually effective for work planning and just location intelligence.

Before 2012 Warrnambool City Council hired an Engineering Consultant who created the street map in AutoCAD. Since I started the GIS officer position with Council, I converted/recreated lots of the dataset in MapInfo Pro, and created the street index in Engage suite.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    WCCWebsiteStMap.pdf   3.56 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Posted 10-27-2017 00:43

Wow ! Love the amount of detail in this map.

A hard copy of a map like this would be a great showpiece on the wall too 🙂 !

• 3.  RE: Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Employee
    Posted 10-27-2017 03:08

Nice job!

Are the labels all automatic labels or have you manually placed many of them?

Also I notice a couple of the labels in Bushfield are upside-down. Surely, that can't be MapInfo Pro rendering them in that way? :-)

Very nice map. I often hear customer say that they have to move a map like this into a DTP application to really make it look good. I assume you just proved them wrong.

• 4.  RE: Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Posted 10-27-2017 06:04
    Nicely done, great efforts

• 5.  RE: Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Posted 10-29-2017 17:59

?@Peter Horsbøll Møller? Thanks! I manually created all the road labels for the map, only the labels but not the directory and index, they were created through Engage.

So far I have not found product in PB's suites which can create road labels to that level of accuracy and very happy to be proven wrong, since I have done this all back in 2014.

Cheers

• 6.  RE: Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Employee
    Posted 10-30-2017 05:35

Well, we have come a long way over the latest versions with the improvements to the labelling but I'm not sure if we can cover all your requirements here with MapInfo Pro.

MapInfo Pro can do curved labels, it can try other positions to avoid overlap and it supports multi line labels.

But you really seem to have used all the tools to make your map stand out: Multi line labels, divided road names, different font sizes - just to name a few.

Great work!

• 7.  RE: Mapping Contest Submission - City Street Directory Map for Tourists, Community Members and Businesses in Warrnambool City Council

Posted 10-30-2017 17:47

+ don't forget Layer Label Priority setting too! A really powerful feature where MapInfo Pro assigns precedence to labels based on the layer with the order controlled by the User.