MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Posted 12-18-2017 13:32

Is it possible to open DWG file with 40+ layers and labels in MapInfo without disturbing any element in the drawing and save the same into KML file? Assuming DWG file is not defined with projection?

When I try to open the DWG file I am not able to see any geometry data, all I can see is one point nothing else.

I tried converting into DXF and open them in MapInfo but I am getting the same visual.

Looking for the solution for this. Help would be very much grateful.

• 2.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Employee
    Posted 12-18-2017 08:45

Ah, the fun and joy of working with data from AutoCAD :-)

The first thing I would check is if the data is based on millimeters and not meters as this really can give some weird results.

Next, you want to make sure that you match your input coordsys to the coordsys f the AutoCAD drawing. You can get into problems here as AutoCAD tends to completely ignore the World and work "on a piece of paper".

Can you try to open the DXF file in a text editor and have a look at the coordinates. Do you look like millimeter values or like some real World coordinates?

• 3.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Posted 12-18-2017 13:49

Hi @Peter Horsbøll Møller? 

Not sure about the units that client have used. What kind of prerequisites that we can Keep to covert any DWG into KML?

As per your comment, I could see the DWG has to be in Millimeter and we should know the CRS of the Drawing. Is there anything we need to keep if we have to convert any sort of DWG to KML / TAB ?

I have inboxed you something. Please have a look it :)

• 4.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Posted 12-18-2017 23:38
      |   view attached

Hi @Peter Horsbøll Møller? I have converted the DWG to DXF using some online tools. I could see some coordinates in Meters as below.CADWill it be possible to change them to whatever the format that we need? Or Do we have to keep the DWG with certain units while saving it?

• 5.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Employee
    Posted 12-19-2017 02:10

You should be able to import this into MapInfo Pro. But you will need to know the coordinate system otherwise you can't really put it the right place on Earth.

MapInfo Pro allows you to open the DWG/DXF file either using Open Universal Data or import it using Universal Translator (or FME Quick Translator as it's called these days).

DXF can also be imported via the classic import feature of MapInfo Pro.

Once it's in MapInfo Pro, you can use Google Earth Link to export the layers (or more precisely the selected features) to KML files. You will have to do this one layer at a time.

• 6.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Posted 12-19-2017 02:39

Try to post your DWG file, I can take a look at it.

• 7.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Posted 12-19-2017 06:46

Use Universal Translator to create the MapInfo files. Then use the GELink tool in MapInfo to export to KML.

The closest projection I can find is Universal Transverse Mercator (WGS 84) choose the Southern Hemisphere (WGS 84) [EPSG:32748]. This places the data on a river though, I am not sure it is accurate enough.

• 8.  RE: Can I open DWG file and save the same into KML/KMZ using MapInfo?

Posted 04-04-2018 01:46

@Amita Mehta Yes Please. I found that the sample data that has been shared by client was not properly created. I have tested with other sample data and it is working fine.