MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  ODBC and MapInfo V15

Posted 12-05-2019 17:10
    ​Hi Everyone,

I have a 32bit app that uses ODBC to attached to an oracle database. It is a new version of the database (Oracle 12.2) . When I try to attach now I get :-

If I just use DBMS connection I get:-
    Normally you would see all the tables.

I thought it was a configuration issue but I can use other applications and they can see the tables and get the data with no problem.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

Many thanks

------------------------------
    Martin Hodder
    Managing Consultant
    Higher Mapping Solutions (OEM)
    KNEBWORTH

• 2.  RE: ODBC and MapInfo V15

Employee
    Posted 12-06-2019 07:11
    Hi Martin

Typically, we would recommend using ORAINET when working with Oracle from MapInfo Pro. We do not support accessing the spatial datatype from Oracle through ODBC.

I also checked which version of Oracle we support with MapInfo Pro 15.0:
    • Oracle Spatial 11g R2
    • Oracle Spatial 12c R1

Not sure if Oracle 12.2 matches one of these?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data

• 3.  RE: ODBC and MapInfo V15

Employee
    Posted 12-06-2019 08:47
    Peter is correct in stating  you should use ORAINET toolkit, not the Oracle ODBC driver for connections to Oracle db with MIPro. if this is the case.
    MIPro Engineerinng team is actually using both Oracle12 CR1 and CR2 databases currently with ORAINET and latest MIPRO 2019 release.
    Can you use SQLPlus to make connection to database and see tables listed?  If so ,can you create a basic table using SQL Plus on the server?
    Did a quick Google Search for this Oracle TTC packet error and all signs point toward a client configuration issue.  I did not log into Oracle support to get any further  specific details.

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY

• 4.  RE: ODBC and MapInfo V15

Posted 12-06-2019 17:47
    If the version of Oracle is new and used to work before, then it is likely that the client Oracle Dlls might need updating. Pro uses OCI directly but ODBC uses the same oracle dlls underneath. So either way you might have a problem.
    https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/microsoft-windows-32-downloads.html 
    You might try that.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY