MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Map Contest Submission - Location Analytics - Road Crash Hot Spots / Patterns

Posted 10-26-2017 05:09

Visualization showing the road crash pattern over the years in Hervey Bay.

See Attachment

Snapshots

See Attachment

See Attachment

See Attachment

Hervey Bay /?h??rvi ?be?/ is a town in Queensland, Australia famous for whale watching and fishing. Fraser Island - the World Heritage listed, world's largest sand island, is part of Fraser Coast.

Hervey Bay's population grew from 35,392 people in 2001 to 49,948 in 2011. According to 2016 census, there are 56,834 people living here. Historically a series of small coastal towns, Hervey Bay urban growth happened linear (East-West). 

I wanted to find out the location pattern of the road crash occurrences and if we can gain any insights with road crash data over the last decade (2001-2013). Crash hot spots are depicted as "red centres" in the map i.e., where majority of road crashes occurred in that year. 

Using a standard colour range for Hotspot density tool (yellow, orange and red), obviously one can see the number of road crashes has increased with population increase. The hot spots seems to have moved from the central part to the western side (high population growth areas).

Tools used: MapInfo Pro Advanced v16 64-bit. Map Window exported as BMP images. Animation compiled in GIMP.

Data Courtesy

Road crash locations - Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads

Other data sets - Fraser Coast Regional Council

Sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hervey_Bay

http://stat.abs.gov.au/itt/r.jsp?RegionSummary&region=31904&dataset=ABS_REGIONAL_ASGS&geoconcept=REGION&datasetASGS=ABS_REGIONAL_ASGS&datasetLGA=ABS_NRP9_LGA&regionLGA=REGION&regionASGS=REGION

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/population-increases-fraser-coast/1486921/

Disclaimer: I created above maps for the map contest. It is not scientific and neither myself nor Fraser Coast Regional Council is responsible for any consequences that may happen with the use of the above map visualizations.

Thanks for your votes,

Thiru

• 2.  RE: Map Contest Submission - Location Analytics - Road Crash Hot Spots / Patterns

Posted 10-26-2017 08:39

Thanks for posting Thiru! Nice Location Analytics Map!

• 3.  RE: Map Contest Submission - Location Analytics - Road Crash Hot Spots / Patterns

Posted 10-27-2017 06:05
    Thanks @Matt Wilming 

• 4.  RE: Map Contest Submission - Location Analytics - Road Crash Hot Spots / Patterns

Posted 11-03-2017 13:25

Thumbs up for the animated GIF. Nicely done. - Tom

• 5.  RE: Map Contest Submission - Location Analytics - Road Crash Hot Spots / Patterns

Posted 11-23-2017 05:05

Thiru, looks great. What tool did you use to create the animated gif??

• 6.  RE: Map Contest Submission - Location Analytics - Road Crash Hot Spots / Patterns

Posted 11-23-2017 16:33

Hi Martin, once the maps are exported as JPEGs, importing them into GIMP and making a GIF is very easy.