MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 05-06-2020 12:44

Greetings,
    I have a table of our students, that I've created points and pinned in the map window.  The table is linked from an Access database.  When I add records to the table in Access, the table in MapInfo is updated with the new records, but those newly added students are not pinned on the map.  Can't I refresh the Map Window somehow to have it show the new students pinned on the map? I don't want to have recreate the map window and all of it's layers, every time I need to update the table. 

Thanks!

Marty

------------------------------
    Marty Oneill
    LEANDER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
    Leander TX

• 2.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 05-06-2020 20:50
    Hi Marty,

Ctrl+D redraws the active map window.  I had to search for the menu option - it is hidden on the Home tab, under "New Document".  Does that help?  I think this should work if you have opened the Access table directly in MapInfo (i.e. not as a Database Table).

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 05-06-2020 23:12
    Thank you James for the reply!  I eventually figured out that after I added records to the table in Access, I then needed to go back to MapInfo and "Create Points" again on the table.  This updated the Map window with new data pinned on the map.  I tried your suggestion, but I don't have a Home tab or New Document option. I'm on MapInfo version 15, so maybe it's a version thing. Again, thanks for the reply!  This was my first post ever, so it was nice to have a response.  Take care.

Marty Oneill
    LEANDER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
    Leander TX

• 4.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 05-06-2020 23:26
    Hi Marty,

That's no problem.  I forgot the table you would be dealing with would require a "Create Points" or similar, so am glad you were able to work it out.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: Updating Points on Map Window after table is updated

Posted 05-08-2020 02:24
    Hi Marty,

with an ms access database as the storage backend you can also set this up to be completely dynamic, so that changing coordinates in a table automatically moves the point on the map, and fresh created records automatically show up on the map.
    You would have to connect to your access table via odbc, create a mapcatalog in the access database with the easyloader add-on and make your point table mapable via the Mapinfo menu with X/Y as spatial type.
    With this setting you can also move a point on the map, and the coordinates get automatically updated in your access table, and no need to do a "create points" again.

Cheers
    Stefan