Precisely Enterworks

View Only
  • 1.  URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-02-2021 23:11
    We would like to publish a URL that users can go directly to to create a new record, while skipping the home tab.
    For example, 'https://myenableserver/enable2020/item/10166/0

We've learned from EW support this is not a supported capability, but does anyone have any good workarounds?

We have a form for our field users to submit requests for new product. They are not familiar with EnterWorks and we want to make things as simple as possible for them (minimize clicks and confusion)-- this is a big issue for our non data governance users.

------------------------------
    Megan Van Hall | Sr Program Manager
    Core and Main | 8134280678

• 2.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-03-2021 08:47
    Hi Megan,

That is a really good idea: a URL to bring people directly to a record creation page. In my mind, this definitely would help on-board people into using the PIM better.

On our end, when PIM was first brand new, many people didn't know how to use the system. We gradually trained our colleagues as we assisted them with getting their data into the system. It was a bit of a lift for our team but now, years into our PIM experience, many people no longer need our help getting around. We're also planning on creating a PIM Basics course through our HR Department in which we can train more people in a classroom setting.

For our non-data governance colleagues, we've provided spreadsheets with pre-populated data so that they can create their records using those files. Unfortunately, that opens another can of worms. Happy to share some strategies with you if you'd like.

Winshuttle also has the Smart Template Pro option which is a solution that's similar to a pre-populated spreadsheet but interacts directly with the PIM database in real time. If something is entered incorrectly, the user will receive an error directly in the sheet itself.

Hope that gives you some options while a new feature is built in the PIM based on your suggestion above.

Best regards,

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead
    Fender Musical Instruments | 480-845-5823

• 3.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Employee
    Posted 06-04-2021 14:22

Hi John,

I love that you are thinking about running a PIM class in your organization.  Since you're on an older EnterWorks version, I don't know if you've had a chance to check out some of our newer resources for learning that might be helpful:

• How EnterWorks Works: This is a basic overview of all the major components in EnterWorks and how they work together.  I wrote it when I came on board EnterWorks and was trying to make sense of it all.  It is in the EnterWorks 10.3 online help, but since it is about core functionality, most of it applies to all versions of EnterWorks.
    • EnterWorks eLearning:  Recently we've published a series of EnterWorks courses that demonstrate how to perform the most common functions.  It gives a detailed description of the EnterWorks New UI and an introduction to all the capabilities business users need. 

When you plan your class, I know you will be focusing on areas particular to your company's needs and your system configuration, but if you find yourself covering material that is not in our documentation but needs to be or that is not explained well enough, please let me know.  Any feedback you can give us that will improve our eLearning and documentation is greatly appreciated.

Cassandra Zupke | Technical Writer
    Winshuttle North America |

• 4.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-04-2021 23:56
    Thank you John for your suggestions. Unfortunately, the users we are talking about are salespeople out in the field and the only reason they use MDM is to request a new product get set up. They really don't have appetite to be trained on such a simple need! And we do want to make things as simple as possible for them. I will definitely keep your guidance in mind for other training needs, thank you!

• 5.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Employee
    Posted 06-07-2021 00:28
    Megan,

There are a couple of options that will meet your use-case.  One would be to have the salespeople send an e-mail with the request, with either a file attachment (such as an Excel spreadsheet) or the message body using a text template where each line has a key/value pair where the key identifies the field and the value is the specific value.  This e-mail would be sent to an address dedicated to the EnterWorks application, which would retrieve the e-mail and extract the information from it.  The less rigid the data structure, the more likely an internal person would need to be involved to populate an actual repository record from the message contents.

Another option would be to implement a submittal form on whatever internal portal you have that would take the contents of a request and submit it to EnterWorks in some form that EnterWorks can accept, such as:  CSV or Excel file for Scheduled Import, Launch of a work item using an HTTP request where the information from the request form would be passed as either parameters in the URL or within an HTTP post body.  The actual mechanism for the transmission can either be the REST API or possibly an older JSP request for launching a work item in a workflow.

One of the things to consider with any type of implementation is  how likely is it that a salesperson may try to add a product that already exists, but they didn't use the right search parameters to find it?  For some customers, any such new product request would go through workflow and the first step taken by an internal user is to determine whether the requested product is already defined.  The second step might be to determine whether or not  the requested product SHOULD be added (unless, of course, the salespeople are the ones that determine it).

A key advantage to either of the above approaches is that the salesperson doesn't need to log into the EnterWorks application nor receive any special training beyond whatever the submittal mechanism is, which should be fairly simple.

-Brian

Brian Zupke | Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Winshuttle North America | 9099009179

• 6.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-04-2021 08:13
    You could set up a widget on the dashboard where the user could edit their records.  I am working on a project in our test environment to try to streamline our vendor on-boarding process.  One thing I'm trying is the Item Editor widget that lets them edit records already created.   I have a repository view widget where the user can click on the (already created) record.  The record opens in the Item Editor widget.  They can edit without ever leaving the dashboard.  They could still open the record as a separate tab if they preferred.

Lindsey Hoffman | MDM Analyst
    Gourmet Foods International | 636-448-5075

• 7.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-04-2021 21:25
    I tried your example:
    https://myenableserver/enable2020/item/10311/0
    and it did take me directly to the create new record page for repo 10311!

Sidd Shenoy | Sr Dir Enterprise Master Data
    Thomson Reuters Corporation | (646) 540-2371

• 8.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-04-2021 23:52
    Huh, that's really strange, EW product support said it's not possible.

We've tried the URL in both classic and new UI and with both local authentication and SSO with no luck.

The browser auto-redirects us to https://myenableserver/authorization-code/callback and then again to https://mdm.coreandmain.com/enable2020/ (the homepage).

Can I ask what version you are on?

• 9.  RE: URL to new record (skip homepage/dashboard)

Posted 06-06-2021 18:41
    It doesn't work with SSO, since that appears to always take you to the dashboard. But without SSO, it works. It might require you to have already logged in. So try:
    - Logging in to EW (Which will then take you to the dashboard)
    - Paste the link in a new tab

-Sidd