MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

• 1.  MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 02-17-2022 11:54
    Is anyone else having issues with the new 2021 version in regards to everyday functions and buttons being grayed out?  This happens to myself and several co-workers quite often now, and we are all stumped as to the cause, and how to fix it.  We have just started our company upgrade of about 100 licenses from 19.3 to the 2021 version, and we have decided to put this upgrade on hold for the rest of the company until we can get this resolved.  

Not having the pan or zoom is not a huge issue, but all the Insert object spatial commands being grayed out is a big issue for those of us drafting.  
    Yes the proper layer is in an editable mode, but they are all grayed out.  We have experimented with changing the editability from one layer to another, making different maps active.  Closing maps and starting new ones etc.  You name it, we've tried it.  When it starts happening, there is no rime or reason to it, but it's extremely annoying.

We have 4 coworkers who have reported this, and it has started to affect our work.  Someone even requested to have 19.3 put back on their computer until this is fixed.
    I have included a few screen shots that show what I'm talking about.  
    Thanks
    Ryan
    All the insert tools are grayed out, even though there is a layer that can be edited
    Screen shot showing grayed out spatial insert tools
    quick access tools such as zoom, pan etc all of a sudden are grayed out and can't be used when you right click, they will also be grayed out 
    in the menu bar as well
    showing the zoom and pan tools etc grayed out

------------------------------
    Ryan Richter
    COX COMMUNICATIONS
    Roanoke GA

• 2.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Employee
    Posted 02-17-2022 12:37
    Hi Ryan,

One idea is to see if the issue is being caused by an add-in.
    An easy way to do this is to start Pro on a command line with MapInfoPro.exe /noautoload
    If the issue does not happen then you can try to narrow it down to which tool.
    If it still happens let us know and we can get tech support involved.

-Bob

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team

• 3.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 02-17-2022 13:12
    Ryan,

it looks to me like the map window is not active for some reason.  Should be dark blue with a yellow a diamond symbol on it.

if another window is active instead the editing tools are then greyed out despite editable settings.

It happens a lot when flicking from windows to windows and making different layers editable.

HTH

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 4.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 02-18-2022 08:19
    Hi Ryan
    It looks like your Browser is the active window rather than your Map Window.

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 02-18-2022 08:37
    Hi John,
    In the image this is true, but it did not matter, and that also would not explain why the zoom and pan, ruler etc are grayed out when you right click on the active map, because that has to be the active map window when you are in there and then right clicking to get those shortcuts, and those same buttons are grayed out at the same time on the menu bar as well, all with the current window the active window.

It's very strange, and it is happening to at least 4 of my co-workers, and we're all experienced MapInfo users, I've used every version since 5.0, and I've never come across this.  

Thanks again
    Ryan

Ryan Richter
    COX COMMUNICATIONS
    Roanoke GA

• 6.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 02-20-2022 22:12
    Hi Ryan,

I have seen this behaviour in earlier builds of v2021, if you are running an older build I would try installing build 197.

Note:
    If you have a previous build of MapInfo Pro 2021 installed, you will need to uninstall it before installing build 197.

Regards
    Duri

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 7.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 02-23-2022 11:54
    Hi, yes I am running build 197.  This weird behavior is getting worse for myself and my coworkers.  
    Some people noted above that in my images that the map was not the active window, the browser was, so in these examples I do not have a browser open, but what you will also notice, is that even though it's the active window highlighted as "blue" there is no yellow diamond in there to also show it is the active window.  I cannot get that yellow diamond to appear no matter what I try.  I have tried closing the map window entirely and re-building it, that will work, but then again for unexplained reasons, it will just stop working again.  I cannot keep closing my map windows and re-making them over and over.
    So here again, the map window is active "blue" but no diamond, so when I right click tools are grayed out, and the "insert" tool are also grayed out even though the map window is active and I have a layer in edit mode.  

Could really use some help on this.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Ryan Richter
    COX COMMUNICATIONS
    Roanoke GA

• 8.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Employee
    Posted 02-23-2022 12:03
    Hi Ryan,

Were you able to try my suggestion to rule out any add-ins that might be causing an issue?

Another way to do this is to simply select them all in the tool manager window and click the unload button.

-Bob

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team

• 9.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 03-01-2022 08:59
    Hi Bob,
    Thank you for this information, I'll admit I was skeptical that this would work, but low and behold it did.  I am now letting my other co-workers know that they can do this when they have similar issues.  I am still hopeful that this will be addressed in any updates or patches that may get released.  

Thanks again for all of your help :)
    Ryan

Ryan Richter
    COX COMMUNICATIONS
    Roanoke GA

• 10.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Employee
    Posted 03-01-2022 09:26
    Edited by Peter Møller 03-01-2022 09:26
    Hi Ryan

So unloading all tools fixed the issue?
    I assume the next step is to launch MapInfo Pro again with all the tools loaded and then unload the tools one at a time to see which tool is to be blamed.

If you send me the list of tools you have running, I can give it a try and see if I can reproduce this misbehavior - unless our support already is working on that

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 11.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 03-02-2022 06:50
    Hi Ryan,

I would be interested in the outcome please as we are about to deploy v2021 b197 to our 140 users. I'm also curious whether the insert tools on the Map tab are greyed out too as these don't have the MapCAD additions.

Regards

Darren

Darren White
    Derbyshire County Council
    MATLOCK

• 12.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 03-03-2022 13:32
    Hi Peter,
    Yes I am not having any issues anymore at the moment (knock on wood)  I unloaded them all, so ya I do not know if it is related to a specific tool.  It was a very odd occurrence to suddenly just have not just tools, but even zoom and pan functions grayed out, which of course makes no difference if a layer was editable or not.  But so far this has worked, and I have yet to have it come up again, same with my co-workers.

So while I do not really understand what caused the problem, and I do not really understand how unloading the tools fixed the problem, I'm just happy that it did for now.

Ryan Richter
    COX COMMUNICATIONS
    Roanoke GA

• 13.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Employee
    Posted 03-04-2022 02:42
    Hi Ryan

Good to hear that you got access to your zoom, pan, and drawing tools again.
    We suspect that a running tool for some reason disabled these controls - but it's only a suspicion as we haven't been able o confirm it.

Have you tried loading all the tools again, or do they get loaded automatically when you start MapInfo Pro? If you do, and the tools are still accessible, I'm quite puzzled.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 14.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 03-04-2022 07:15
    Peter,

Just thought I'd add my observations as I have experienced similar to this.  

Sometimes when using v19 or v21 I have noticed that the Map window despite being clicked on last isn't the active window.  no amount of clicking will make it so.  Also right clicking and selecting 'Activate' in the Maps section of the explorer window doesn't do it either.

When this happens I have also noticed that if you close the active browser tab by clicking the x on the window it doesn't actually shut the window it 'hides' the window instead and the tick disappears in the window section of explorer.  However this still doesn't make the map window active even if it is the only window left open. You have to right click and shut the browser completely from the window list and then the map will become active.

Next time it happens I'll take some screen shots to show you as, naturally, it's not doing it now!

I have had this happen to me a few times though......

Regards

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 15.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 03-04-2022 14:13
    Yes, this exact same thing was happening to us as well.  It was a constant battle of closing and opening map and browser windows.  I noticed sometimes if I close a browser, and then open it again, it will say browser 2, or then browser 3,4 etc.  I've seen up to 9!  

If you go in your explorer window, and scroll all the way to the bottom, those "hidden" browser windows will be listed there, where you can right click them and close them.  When you close them all, then things started working as normal again.

Ryan Richter
    COX COMMUNICATIONS
    Roanoke GA

• 16.  RE: MapInfo 2021 functions - zoom/pan spatial commands grayed out

Posted 07-22-2022 00:06
    I believe this issue is caused by an invalid setting in the MapInfoPro.DockingState.xml

"C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\2100\MapInfoPro.DockingState.xml"

I haven't been able to pin it down to any particular setting but I have proven that moving this file to a good PC will cause the issue and deleting the file fixes the issue, I have reported this and Precisely have logged it as a bug.

Until this is patched you can reset the DockingState by deleting the file, make sure MapInfo is not open before deleting otherwise it will just write the corrupt setting again when you close it. When you open MapInfo it will recreate the file and all your windows will return the their default locations.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS