MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I create surface models from LIDAR data (*.las format) using MapInfo Pro?

• 1.  How can I create surface models from LIDAR data (*.las format) using MapInfo Pro?

Employee
    Posted 11-27-2017 08:03

• 2.  RE: How can I create surface models from LIDAR data (*.las format) using MapInfo Pro?

Employee
    Posted 11-27-2017 03:12

To create surface from LIDAR point cloud data (*.las), you require MapInfo Pro Raster extension. The Raster support will be enabled, if Advanced license is available with you.

Select Raster Tab > Create Raster > Nearest Neighbor (you can select other interpolation methods based on your requirement).

lidar_1

A dialogue box with various parameters are displayed which could be used for generating surface models. Select Input file by locating to the data path where LIDAR file resides.

lidar_2

Select required Projection for your LIDAR files.

lidar_3

Select parameters on which surface needs to be created (Z (height) value selected in below illustration)

lidar_4

Select method of Interpolation for modelling surface based on intended use (Nearest Neighbor selected here)

lidar_5

Various other parameters such as Unit, Maximum search distance, cell size, output geometry bounds can be set based on the requirement. Output file name is automatically populated with input file name and appended with parameter name on which surface needs to be created. Click Process to generate raster file.  

Surface is generated from point cloud data and can be put to use to various other raster operations (such as calculating slope, aspect, curvature etc.) to meet various analytics requirements.

lidar_6

How MapInfo Pro Raster can help analyze LiDAR data?

LiDAR data is acquired, processed, and delivered in a digital format and hence its easier to work and develop data products based on various needs and requirements. The LAS/LAZ files can be imported into various GIS packages such as MapInfo Pro Raster and can be used to produce valuable results either through standalone use of data or augmenting or fusing other types of data with LiDAR. For instance, LiDAR data can be used to create DEM and DSMs surface models which along with its derivatives (slope, aspects, curvature, profile etc.) can be used in watershed analysis, risk modelling, forest mapping etc.

The major obstacle of many GIS packages is that they are limited in handling LiDAR point data cloud. MapInfo Pro Raster is capable of handling large data volumes and addresses the problem of point cloud handling, and manipulation in efficient and reliable manner. LiDAR datasets can be stored in MRR format (Multi-Resolution Raster – a proprietary raster format of MapInfo Pro Raster) and benefit from support for faster rendering and efficient visualization.

• 3.  RE: How can I create surface models from LIDAR data (*.las format) using MapInfo Pro?

Employee
    Posted 11-28-2017 03:52

Very nice write-up, Neena.

A few comments for people starting to convert LiDAR data files (LAS/LAZ) into MRR grids:

1. You can use the Create Raster Multifile option and select multiple LAS/LAZ file to be gridded in one process.
    2. Often your LAS/LAZ points contain multiple types of information and you might want to use more than one of these attributes in your final raster datset. For this, the MRR format allows you to pick multiple attributes to be included in the final grid, for example the Elevation, the Intensity and the Red, Gteen and Blue values.

• 4.  RE: How can I create surface models from LIDAR data (*.las format) using MapInfo Pro?

Employee
    Posted 12-13-2017 15:39

Thanks Peter!

• 5.  RE: How can I create surface models from LIDAR data (*.las format) using MapInfo Pro?

Posted 06-06-2018 01:04

Hi, Peter:

Relating to your comments, I have tried to use the function of "Create Raster Multifile" to process point cloud files in "las" format into a single MRR grid file.

But not sure why it failed. The total size of las files are ?about 40GB, and the PC's configurations are: 8GB ram and Intel Core I7, thought it should be okay.

I only chose one column as "Z" to display the elevations. And set the cell size as "1".

Is there any configurations which I should change.

Thanks