Changes to Your Canada Business Summary product commencing Q1 2023 – Support Announcement
This product update is to inform customers of changes to the upcoming release of Precisely's Canadian Business Summary product. Notification of upcoming changes was made in the Q1 2022 product Release Notes.
New in This Release
The Business/Retail Summary data product has been updated to reflect the latest available data input (at the time of development) from Precisely's World Points of Interest - Premium dataset for Canada, version 2023.01.
The industry classifications provided in the Canadian Points of Interest business records have been updated to the NAICS 2022 system. This has resulted in a substantial number of changes to the NAICS-based variables which are used to report on the 3-digit to 6-digit Retail Trade summaries in the Retail Business Summary table.
As alerted in the previous release, this product has undergone an evaluation to determine what variables within this product required a modification in the data schema. This assessment has resulted in the addition and changes to the data fields in both the Business and Retail summary tables (aside from the above-mentioned NAICS-based variable changes in the Retail summary table). Further information about these changes is included in the next section.
Current geography is essential for timely, relevant analysis. Precisely data are based on the most up-to-date roster of geographical boundaries and definitions, including Canadian Census 2021 geographies and postal areas called Forward Sortation Areas.
Changes in This Release
As part of the standardization of digital data deliveries from Precisely, the product file names have been modified to align with new file-naming standards. Please refer to the data schema and variables listing excel workbooks for the new table / product-file names. The zip file names have been modified from the previous year as follows:
Also, the organization of the files within the zip file has been modified, with all data product files now stored within a folder entitled data. The PreciselyID folder with the pipe-delimited text file containing the PreciselyID PBKEY to Dissemination Area code lookup table has been moved into the data folder. The accompanying PreciselyID data schema documentation is also contained within this PreciselyID folder.
The data schema for the tables in this product have been changed as follows:
· The Retail Business Summary NAICS-based variables have been realigned to the NAICS 2022 industry codes, resulting in:
o changes in NAICS descriptions for the NAICS-based variables which have not changed between the 2017 coding system and the new 2022 coding system
o removal of previous NAICS 2017-based variables which have been discontinued
o addition of new NAICS 2022-based variables which have been introduced
o the retail business summaries include 3-digit, 4-digit, 5-digit, and 6-digit NAICS summaries where available.
· The range of years for the "Years since Business Established or New Ownership/Management controlled" has been expanded beyond the 6 years, and now includes: 6 – 9 years, 10 – 14 years, and 15 years and over for the Business Summary.
· Similarly, the range of years for the "Years since Retail Business Established or New Ownership/Management controlled" has been expanded beyond the 6 years, and now includes: 6 – 9 years, 10 – 14 years, and 15 years and over for the Retail Summary.
· The three geographic variables at the beginning of both the Business and Retail Summary tables have been standardized, in line with other Canadian demographic products (e.g. Canada Estimates and Projections data suite):
• In the Business Summary table, the following other data variable names have been changed or added:
For more detail on the data schema changes in the Canada Business Summary please refer to:
Changes in the above file are color-coded as follows:
· Yellow: Change
· Pink: Addition
· Blue: Deletion
If you would like technical assistance, please contact the Precisely Global Support team at https://support.precisely.com/
Any questions relating to this announcement can be directed to:
Director Data Product Management