MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapinfo to WKT

Posted 02-01-2019 04:40
    Edited by Krishna Bejawada 02-01-2019 05:13
    Can we convert Tab <g class="gr_ gr_36 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="36" data-gr-id="36">fil</g> (line, Polyline, Polygon ) to WKT file using MapInfo?

------------------------------
    Krishna Bejawada
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo to WKT

Employee
    Posted 02-01-2019 09:19
    Hi Krishna.

There is an online tool that can do this but it has some limitations with regards to the file size etc.

You can do this in a data flow in Spectrum via Enterprise Designer.

You can create a custom MapBasic application that will output the Object as a WKT string. Ther eis a tool here, but he goes from WKT to MapInfo objects: WKT2MapInfo.

The MapInfo Data Access Library that ships with MapInfo Pro 17.0 can also help you convert to WKT. This is again mostly for developers as it's a .NET SDK.

If you have you data in for example a SQL Server database, you can create a query that converts the spatial record to WKT using the STAsText() method.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo to WKT

Posted 02-01-2019 09:40
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I have checked the online conversation and it is not helpful for handling the Big data sets. 

I have used  "ToWKT " function in Spatial calculator but to do that either I should use Named Resource or KML as input. 
    Pushing data to DB and perform  STAsText() would not be a choice at the moment. Looks like the scope is cornered to write an MB code or the SDK thing. 

But thanks for the suggestions, I will continue the R&D. 

Great Weekend!

- Krishna

Krishna Bejawada
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 4.  RE: Mapinfo to WKT

Posted 02-04-2019 11:56
    Hi Krishna,

The open source GDAL toolkit can do this, specifically you would use the ogr2ogr command to translate the TAB file into a CSV file, encoding the geometry as WKT. The command line would be something like:

ogr2ogr -f "CSV" -lco GEOMETRY=WKT MyWKT.csv MyTabFile.tab​

Andrew Harfoot
    GeoData
    University of Southampton