Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  What is an Address?

Employee
    Posted 04-25-2019 16:24

What does the term "Address Data" mean to you?   When I find myself talking about Address Data to various people, it's clear that an address doesn't always mean the same thing depending on one's use case.  However, it almost always boils down to two main asks: 1. Where is this address? and 2. Can I mail to it?  I've been building address data for a long time, but whenever I think of these two functions, my brain immediately associates them with physical and static address locations.  The concept of an address has changed greatly in the last decade to not only include physical street locations but also consumer digital addresses, like emails and social handles.  

Sticking with a physical address...we can answer the questions of where is this address and can I mail to it by carrying out two distinct functions.  If I want to find the latitude and longitude of an address, I can use geocoding software, and if I want to know if the local post will deliver a mail piece or package, we often use postal address validation tools.  Check out the examples below.  Simple, right?  In both cases, these tools rely on an input address from a customer database.  But do you ever think about the underlying reference dataset used to geocode or validate an address and how this data is collected and updated? What do you consider as an address and what attributes do you look for in Address Data?

------------------------------
    Amy Metz, PMP, PMC-III
    Product Manager - Address Data
    Pitney Bowes
    White River Junction, VT
    802-698-3571
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/?trk=

• 2.  RE: What is an Address?

Posted 04-29-2019 15:33
    Hi Amy - when I think of an address (in this case sticking with your thread on a physical address) I am focused first on the data elements that are mandatory for completeness & correctness of the address.  Address formats and data elements for completeness & correctness vary tremendously across the globe and so its very important to have a good grasp of required/optional data elements for that country (or region).  A good overview of that complexity is here:  http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/postal/.  For an address to be usable and have acceptable quality the address needs to meet or exceed the mandatory data elements and ideally have optional data elements as well.  An incomplete address can greatly degrade performance in a geocoder or make the postal use case to fail altogether.  Automated completeness and correctness tests can be designed for each country and can ensure a first level or quality of the address data.

Separate from that is the issue of the currency (up-to-dateness) of the address data itself.  Due to real-world changes such as E-911, annexations or even countrywide addressing changes such as Eircodes in Ireland, the address data that was current yesterday could be outdated today.  While it looks complete/correct from the formatting perspective, its no longer current.  Depending on the use-case that address data is now unusable.  Having good systems to maintain the currency of the address data is critical as currency issues can be stealthy and not obvious to the end user.

Lastly, the coverage of the address data is another aspect to consider.  Entire countries or regions within a country could be missing and also impact the overall search results for the user.  Since the real world universe of addresses in a country is huge, a proxy for reality (a spatially-representative statistically-significant sample set) can be used to confirm coverage is up to expectations.  

Thanks
    Tom

Tom Gilligan
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 3.  RE: What is an Address?

Employee
    Posted 05-10-2019 13:20
    Excellent points Tom around the 4 C's. And I have bookmarked that postal guide and passed along to others who might find it useful. It definitely highlights the complexities of global addressing, as well the difficulty of building a global flat file dataset outside of geocoding or address validation solutions.  As you mention, address schemas vary across countries, and the order of address components and understanding which data elements are required to mail to address or find it location on the earth, is not a one-size fits all.

Amy Metz, PMP, PMC-III
    Product Manager - Address Data
    Pitney Bowes
    White River Junction, VT
    802-698-3571
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/?trk=