MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Help needed creating Hydrology a DEM Vector

Posted 05-21-2020 21:42
      |   view attached
    Hi,

Can some one please help. I am new to creating Raster DEMs and struggling to understand how to create a HYDROLOGY DEM I have been provided with a spatial data set for the input data. But I don't know probably because I don't understand what I am actualy doing in relation to hydrology DEMs. I understand DEM's using surface contours with data where I have a column with the values for the hieght to choose. But not sure about hydrology. I have trided to use google but nothing is helping me out. I have attached a copy of the data that I will be using. If some one could please help get me on track I would really appreciate any help.

------------------------------
    Tina Underwood
    Technical officer - GIS & Drafting
    Gladstone Area Water Board
    Gladstone BC QLD

Attachment(s)

zip
    Hydrology.zip   9 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Help needed creating Hydrology a DEM Vector

Posted 05-21-2020 23:40
    Hi Tina,

The layer you supplied is a vector file of streamlines just outside Canberra from Geoscience Australia. By itself it doesn't have the necessary information to create/recreate a hydrology DEM. It could be used to compare outputs from whatever process you utilise, or possibly combined with a DEM to produce a training model to run over other areas.
    If you need access to the DEM for the area in your data sample(or most anywhere in Australia), then https://elevation.fsdf.org.au/ can be used to gather the relevant DEMs, LAS data. The Discover Add On for MapInfo has a set of Hydrology tools that can take your selected DEM and create stream outputs with stream order, watershed area etc.

Hopefully that is of some help, if you can provide some more detail others here might be able to provide more specific assistance.

William Dean
    Cairns Regional Council

• 3.  RE: Help needed creating Hydrology a DEM Vector

Posted 05-21-2020 23:56
      |   view attached
    Hi,

Thanks so much for the quick response. The background is I am doing a study unit for site suitability with MAPINFO GIS. The dataset has been provided the one I attached and the following is the requested. Creating a DEM. using both hydrology and contours as input. I am good with the contours side of it. I just can't understand hydrology modeling. Are they asking to do a terrain Stabiliity map based on slope and specific catchment area? 
    This area of GIS is new to me and I am doing it all remote and struggling to get help.

Tina Underwood
    Technical officer - GIS & Drafting
    Gladstone Area Water Board
    Gladstone BC QLD

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Help needed creating Hydrology a DEM Vector

Posted 05-22-2020 00:41
    Private reply coming.

William Dean