MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MIPro 15.0.x hungs up after start - caused by current/latest Windows/Office-Update?

Posted 03-14-2022 12:13

Hi all.

Since a couple of days we got a lot of customer requests.

MapInfo 15 (32-Bit) hangs up/freezes right after starting MIPro.

Some cases we could fix by reinstalling an older version of microsoft access database engine.

But in some cases we were not successful with this workaround.

I guess there must be a conflict with a windows/office update begin of march in connection with office 2016.

Anyone out there, who shares this problem?

Happy for any ideas/suggestions.

Oliver

------------------------------
    Oliver Best
    AGIS Anwender-Geo-Informations-Systeme GmbH
    Bad Homburg

• 2.  RE: MIPro 15.0.x hungs up after start - caused by current/latest Windows/Office-Update?

Employee
    Posted 03-15-2022 05:43

Hi Oliver

I reached out to our support team as they have come across this too. Here is their reply:

It's not an issue for MapInfo Pro alone. Other applications have the same issue after applying the hotfix KB5002160, see borncity.com as an example.

Microsoft patches can break things with applications, not just MapInfo Pro, so for now, do not apply this specific update. According to the instructions, you should be able to uninstall this update without having to revert to a previous restore point or backup.

If you want to keep this hotfix other customers report that:

1. They could solve the issue by re-installing MapInfo Pro 32-bit. We recommend installing the latest possible version with all available patches.
    2. In case of concurrent licensing, it might help to just re-boot the License server

Another potential fix can be (not verified yet): Reregister MapInfo Pro:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MapInfo\Professional\MapInfow.exe" /regserver

This is the current status. It might be a good point in time to move to MapInfo Pro 64-bit. We have not seen any report from customers running MapInfo Pro 64-bit (any version) yet.

I hope this helps.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: MIPro 15.0.x hungs up after start - caused by current/latest Windows/Office-Update?

Posted 03-15-2022 06:30

Hi Peter.

I confirm your entire message. :)

Thanks a lot for your quick response and assistance. (Got also feedback from Jörg.)

Yes, last week one of my co-workers identified KB5002160 as the potential "aggressor" :)

A few minutes ago I received a "positive" feedback from one of our customers: deinstallation of KB5002160 put MIPro into life again.

Thanks a lot, Peter

Oliver Best
    AGIS Anwender-Geo-Informations-Systeme GmbH
    Bad Homburg

• 4.  RE: MIPro 15.0.x hungs up after start - caused by current/latest Windows/Office-Update?

Employee
    Posted 03-15-2022 10:28
    Full credit goes to Jörg. I just passed on his detailed description as he had issues accessing the community.

Glad to hear you were able to solve the issue, Oliver, and thanks for verifying that uninstalling ​the update works.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data