Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Search engine gives too much, and not enough...?

Posted 05-31-2018 06:12

Hi All,

At the moment, our search engine gives way to much info then necessary! We have to make sure we are very specific and type the full name and address.

E.g. Searching for a town: 'Barellan'

See Attachment

See Attachment

Or searching for an address: 141 East Street, Narrandera

See Attachment

See Attachment

I hadn't thought much of this as I thought that's just how it is.

But I have since noticed that other councils PUBLIC SSA sites have more capability then our INTERNAL one.

For example: Glenelg Shire Councils search engine allows them to search by address, title and property number.

See Attachment

And only searches THEIR council, not the entire world like ours does.

Example 2.

I have also noticed that when I begin to type in the Riverina Water County Councils search engine, it searched Lot and DP. Once again, this is something ours is not capable of internally.

See Attachment

So my questions are:

Why does our search engine search the whole world and not our shire?

How do I make it so you can type in a Property ID or lot and DP etc. instead of only an address and place. At the moment I am just using 'Quick Search' queries.

Are their back end settings I need to change?

• 2.  RE: Search engine gives too much, and not enough...?

Posted 05-31-2018 06:24

Hi Jemima

I take it you are using the Bing Search facility? In which case, you can restrict the search to Country or Town/City in the Admin Console under the Map Configuration settings.

Otherwise, you could load your own gazetteer containing all the addresses and properties? within your district. Again, an Administrator function.

• 3.  RE: Search engine gives too much, and not enough...?

Posted 06-04-2018 08:28

Hi @Jemima Bargery? , If you check the settings in admin console for your map configuration you might be using Bing international Geocoder like below. See Attachment If you want to restrict the search for specific city you can write the City name or country or county name in the " Search in this Country or City".

If in case , you want to search with Asset ID or Property ID. You need to add your own locator address DB in Address and Routing Tab like below.

See Attachment

You need to give the right projection, and choose the column for which you want to search with ( Land Parcel ID) then Lat , longs. Choose the Address Dataset 1 or 2. Once you upload.. You need to go back to the Map Configuration and change the address dataset from Bing International Geocoder to Address 1 or Address 2 depends on what you uploaded. save the configuration and check. You may need to give at least 3 characters to get the search results.

Hope this will help you fix the customized search in SSA :)

• 4.  RE: Search engine gives too much, and not enough...?

Posted 06-04-2018 23:31

Hi Jemima!

We created our own address file so it only searches by Lot and DP, Address or a couple of place names/suburbs we added in, and no the entire planet.

We did this by creating a csv that had 3 columns, x co-ord, y co-ord and the the term you want to search (i.e. "Holbrook" or "80 Balfour Street Culcairn" etc)

I got my very clever trainee to whip up a small script and our IT guy added it to the nightly processes so it's created every night.

Drop us a line if you'd like some more help with it

Cheers

Bec

• 5.  RE: Search engine gives too much, and not enough...?

Posted 06-05-2018 20:08

One of our clients has done the same Rebecca, and the search field is actually a combination of three fields, id, name and address so the user can search for any of these and it will return a result...what I really like about this is that the results make more sense when they have the other context data with them.

There is a section in the manual for creating the script. http://support.pb.com/help/analyst/12.2/admin_guide/en/index.html#contexts/command_line_utility.html