Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  At Southwark we make use of multiple map configs.

Posted 04-25-2018 09:57

At Southwark we make use of multiple map configs. Some contain many layers spread over many NamedMaps, some have just a handful of layers.

There is a marked difference in load times. Heavier map configs take much longer to load than the smaller ones, which is entirely understandable.

I try to encourage the use of different map configs thus reducing the need for larger configs. But users demand to have as much that is relevant to their work in one place. For example, our planning config contains 310 layers spread over 41 NamedMaps. It’s this way because the planning team want theses datasets readily available in one config.

Heavier configs taking longer to load is easy for me to understand but it’s not so easy to tell users who just want access to information as quickly as possible.

It would help if there was some form of ‘progress/layers loading’ message. I know there is the blue bar above the banner, but that’s difficult to spot and non-descriptive. If there was some form of pictorial progress bar I think it would deal with some user concerns.

See Attachment

See Attachment

• 2.  RE: At Southwark we make use of multiple map configs.

Employee
    Posted 04-26-2018 02:16

Nice catch. Would it help if we add a spinner on the layers panel? I agree, the loading bar on the top is a bit subtle. Can you share - how long (approx.) does user need to wait for the 310 layers to load?

• 3.  RE: At Southwark we make use of multiple map configs.

Posted 04-26-2018 03:09
    It’s not too bad. On Citrix: around 15 to 25 seconds over Citrix , depending on time of day etc. On PC: around 12 to 18 seconds, depending on time of day etc.

• 4.  RE: At Southwark we make use of multiple map configs.

Posted 04-26-2018 21:31

Similar situation here with our planning config having around 150 layers. Load times are ~20 seconds in Citrix and 10-15 seconds on PC.

The bar is a bit too subtle and some users have pointed that out, others probably never noticed it.