Automate

View Only
  • 1.  Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Posted 06-18-2021 12:02
    Hello All,

I was going to be submitting a ticket to Winshuttle but thought maybe someone here might know a little something.  :-)

I have a user that created a BAPI Script (For BAPI_MATERIAL_SAVEDATA) that contains both standard fields and some new Z fields.  When testing the script before pushing it for Production use, the script works as expected and updates both the Standard and New Fields in our QA instance.  After moving the script into Foundation and making it Production ready, the script continues to update the Standard fields in QA and also in Prod SAP, but no longer updates the New Fields, in QA or Prod.  

Has anyone seen this prior?  I did not attach the script as we are working on a simplified version to see if stripping it to the bare bones will show the issue.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Gorski
    General Mills | Process Automation Developer

• 2.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Employee
    Posted 06-21-2021 09:45
    Hi Scott

Have not run into this specifically. 

Are you sure that the modifications are exactly the same between QA and Prod?  Perhaps you can open the script in Studio, pointing to Prod, and run one test with one material, setting values to what they are now to see if it works.

HTH,
    Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    PSE | Winshuttle NA

• 3.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Posted 08-03-2021 12:36
    Thanks Sigrid for the idea.

I did have the user try running through Studio, not Excel, and it updated the new "Z" fields.  Very strange.  So it is specific to Excel and one of the SAP instances

Does this sound like something I should open a ticket for?  Or do you have any more brilliant ideas to try out?  :-)

We do transport the SAP code from QA to Prod, so it would be the same... But now that it works through Studio, if it is SAP, does this point to a specific place to look at?  It seems like it would not be SAP related if it does run one of the ways.

2020 Gorski
    General Mills | Process Automation COE

• 4.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Employee
    Posted 08-03-2021 12:43
    Hi Scott (aka 2020) :)

Are you using any macros or special formatting that maybe got stripped out of the template?

If not, I would open a support ticket on this one.  If it runs from Studio and not from Excel, that is indeed strange.  I don't believe I've had that happen before - but I have lost formatting before.

Best Regards,
    Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    PSE | Winshuttle NA

• 5.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Posted 08-04-2021 10:16
    I would have to check on the formatting/macros, but it still feels odd that it works from Excel against our Q SAP instance, but not Prod SAP instance and it works from Studio for both Q and Prod.  More to come.

Hmm, it would appear my firstname changed on the site.  Now I have to figure out how that happened.  Do you ever feel that life is a never ending loop of debugging?

2020 Gorski

• 6.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Employee
    Posted 08-04-2021 10:22
    Hi Scott

Yes! :)  

When you run against non-prod, have you submitted it to the Foundation/Evolve site or is it still on the desktop?  That was why I was thinking it's after submission to the desktop.  The only other thing is I could think of I suggested earlier - perhaps the fields are different in prod?

Best of luck!
    Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    PSE | Winshuttle NA

• 7.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Posted 08-09-2021 12:58
    OK.  I was a little off in my understanding of the issue and now narrowed it down properly. 
    The BAPI script does not update the Z fields when running through Excel (regardless of SAP instance).  This is when the Script was not submitted for Production Use or after it was.   
    The script works as expected when running through the Studio App both before it is submitted for Production Use and after (regardless of SAP instance).

Any thoughts on this?  Otherwise I am thinking it is a ticket for support.  :-)

2020 Gorski

• 8.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Employee
    Posted 08-09-2021 13:39
    Hi Scott

Thanks for the update.  Consistency is always a good thing, even if the results aren't positive.  :) 

I'd be curious if you downloaded the template, what is missing that would make the script load those fields?  A formula?  Macro? 

If you can't find anything obvious, then yes, I would open a support ticket.

Best Regards,
    Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    PSE | Winshuttle NA

• 9.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Posted 08-10-2021 03:24
    Hi,
    Your script does work correctly when run in Studio, but does not when run in Excel, and it's a script that has been modified.
    Maybe it's too obvious but I have had similar issues with scripts that are embedded in Excel. When changing a script that's been published in Excel one must not forget to detach it from Excel and publish it again, if not Excel will continue to use the 'old' unchanged script.

best regards, Jan

jan ketele | Sr engineer release mgt
    Xeikon Manufacturing NV | +32 34 43 1 875

• 10.  RE: Studio - BAPI - New Z Fields Not Updating When Move For Prod Use

Posted 08-16-2021 15:32
    Thanks for the suggestions Sigrid and Jan.

I should have dug deeper into this before posting here.  I am finding the issue is happening with a Transform Rule in the script.  Apparently it runs as expected in both the Studio App and also through Excel if I use a formula directly in Excel.   Apparently when I use the same formula, that worked in Excel, in a Transform Rule, it adds the data to the file correctly, but it just fails to load the data into SAP (SAP message states it does but nothing is updated).   I have other Transform rules that work just fine elsewhere in the same script, it is for one specific field.

I am going to put in a ticket and see if there is anything there.  I will follow up here once I get this figured out.

2020 Gorski