Data360 Analyze

View Only
  • 1.  Annotations?

Posted 06-17-2017 19:10

Hello, 

My group is new to Dataverse.  We saw a Dataverse demo and in the demo there were helpful (and colorful) annotation boxes that served as comments explaining the purpose each part of the job served.  We were disappointed it isn't included in the actual product.

We've been told the feature is coming by the end of the year.  I think it would be wise to release it sooner if possible.  Allowing Dataverse Desktop to be downloaded for free is a great move.  The application would be a whole lot stickier if you allowed documentation to be created within the jobs.

We work with several groups whose comfort with technology stops at spreadsheets.  Dataverse Desktop is perfect for them, but it's currently too intimidating.  I would like to build jobs for these groups, and document the jobs clearly, directly on the flow itself.  I am confident that the combination of visual data flow + annotations/comments/documentation would engage these users. They would become more comfortable in the tool, then curious, then begin to poke around and make adjustments themselves.  That's what I mean by comments making the app sticker.  Comments/documentation would serve as an entry point for less comfortable new users who might feel overwhelmed or lost when handed a Dataverse job.  

Also, if you want this tool to be used collaboratively, you need comments.  Teams can clean up their comments before moving to Prod just as they do in their code.  Notes during development would be a tremendous help.  

My 2 cents.  

Thanks,

Rob

• 2.  RE: Annotations?

Posted 06-19-2017 14:49

Dear Robert,

I want to thank you for your feedback.  I am currently working with our engineering team to take in all customer feedback around this issue as this feature is generating a lot of demand.  I will alert you if there are any changes to our roadmap on this issue.

I do want to inform you that, as of right now, this feature is targeted for release in Q3 which, while still a bit far, is closer than the end of the year.

Hope that helps,

Rocco

• 3.  RE: Annotations?

Posted 09-04-2017 22:53

Dear Robert!

Inline documentation is very important for creating cutom nodes. I want to be able add description text to parameters (when hovering over the label of the parameter - see screenshot below currently already possible) and also include a webpage with documentation like it is done for the standard nodes (at the top of the configure tab there is a link to the description of the node from the documentation - see screenshot how to replace link to "Composite" by a custom composite node not possible at the moment).

Best regards
    Holger

• 4.  RE: Annotations?

Posted 12-14-2017 08:49

Robert,

The ability to self-document a graph/node/parameter is one of the biggest missing features in Dataverse when compared to Lavastorm and I'd like to see this functionality added as soon as possible.

Dave