MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

• 1.  Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-08-2018 11:31

• 2.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-08-2018 11:31

Mike,

I raised a similar issue with rendering of Legends in Layouts last month, and it has been submitted as a bug for a future fix.

Ali

• 3.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Employee
    Posted 06-11-2018 03:49

Mike,

If you could share an example of this it would be very helpful in order for us to understand exactly what does look terrible.

Just a basic workspace with a table or two, a layout and the legend elements that don't look good.

Also is it on screen, in a PDF or in an exported image you get a poor result?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-11-2018 06:01
      |   view attached

Hi Peter, thanks for coming back, to be more specific it's the symbols in the legend, the thematic symbols in the map are rendered perfectly but the ones in the legend aren't.

PracMap sample

• 5.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Employee
    Posted 06-11-2018 06:04

Right, I think we improved on this in v17.0. Let me check back with engineering.

• 6.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-11-2018 10:27

We did make some changes in v17.0 to eliminate the anti-aliasing at the edges of the symbols. That should eliminate the extra blurring around the edges of the style samples.

However, I still have a few questions.

1. You said it looked good in the "old" version. Can you tell me which version you were using? I suspect you may mean a 32-bit version which draws the legend samples differently than the Legend Designer in the 64-bit versions.
    2. Where are you seeing the problem: on-screen, printing, exporting?
    3. Can you either email or attach sample data to demonstrate this problem?
    • If not, can you tell us which symbol you are using, including font name and specific symbol code from the style picker? Such as MapInfo 3.0 Compatible, D1.

Thanks,

Alicia

• 7.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-11-2018 10:47
      |   view attached

You're right Alicia, I was using MapInfo Pro 15 32 bit and the old layout window not the new designer.

The issue is with on screen and when I export to pdf, the (larger) sample above was snipped from a pdf and this one is snipped from the layout designer window

• 8.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-11-2018 12:13

Mike,

You should try to use a TrueType symbol if possible. The other symbols will be rasterized when they are added to the legend.

If you are using MapInfo 3.0 Compatible, you can either change to using MapInfo Symbols (and turning on the Border option if you like the black edge), or you can turn on the preference in Pro > Options > Systems Settings > enable/check "Display Pre-Version 4 symbols Using TrueType Font".

• 9.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-12-2018 05:04
      |   view attached

Many thanks Alicia 😊 the MapInfo Symbols option worked for this as in sample 3 attached, the "display as True Type" removed all the borders merging all the dots into one area, which wasn't what I needed. It does seem to put a thicker border on the map symbols than in the legend, but I can live with that.

• 10.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-12-2018 11:55

You're welcome. Glad we could improve the quality of those symbols.

• 11.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-22-2018 08:11

Hi Alicia, could I return to this for a moment? The thematic maps (pdfs) I produce now look fine on my machine but there are problems for all that I send to, the worst of them viewed in Edge have hashtags instead of all the symbols and the best of them produce the symbols but generate font warnings and are sized incorrectly, is there something I should be changing when I'm creating pdfs from these layouts?

Edit: Apologies, I see now, font embedding is the answer :)

• 12.  RE: Using MapInfo Pro 16 64bit, my legends in layouts are very low resolution and look terrible, can you advise on settings to improve this, they were fine in the old version. Mike

Posted 06-22-2018 10:01
      |   view attached

Mike,

Glad you figured it out. I was going to suggest embedding fonts. For the benefit of others, you can find it on PDF Options:

PDFFonts