Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Elevation grid styling different in Mapinfo and uploaded Spectrum layer

Posted 12-07-2019 07:26
    I am trying to load an elevation grid into SSA/Spectrum.

In Mapinfo it looks like

When I bring it into SSA it looks awful and doesn't keep the same symbology or render properly.

The file is an elevation tif that's 16 bit elevation grid that's processed in Global Mapper.

How can I force spectrum to display this the same as Mapinfo?

------------------------------
    George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 2.  RE: Elevation grid styling different in Mapinfo and uploaded Spectrum layer

Posted 12-08-2019 09:53
    Mr. Corea,
    While we can't be sure of the issue which would require your image, I do have some guesses and things you could try. 
    When MapInfo Raster component was added into MapInfo Pro, a change occurred whereby that code took over, by default, the rendering of many image types that were formerly handled by older code.  This improved the rendering of images in many cases. 
    You can tell if this is happening with a tiny bit of MapBasic.
    In the Mapbasic window enter this:
    print  RasterTableInfo(<tablename>, 17)
    (Just like tableinfo(), if you know the table number, which is the order of the table was opened, you can use that instead of the name. Some images have long names, so I cheat by using the number)

This prints out to the message window the full path of the raster code (handler) that opened that image. If it says MiRasterHandler.rha it will also be from the Raster folder and that clearly states that the newer code was used to open this image.
    The code in Spectrum Spatial that handles images is more or less comparable to the older code in MapInfo Pro (but in Java) so it would not surprise me if there was an issue here with this image.
    If you want to test further, you can disable the use of the newer handler and see if it also displays poorly. You can also create a case with support and supply the image.  To disable the newer code, you have to go to the Raster Preferences under the "Pro" button and then Raster, Preferences.
    This brings up a dialog like this:
    raster formats tab

You can see in my setup that TIF is handled by the new raster component in both the Native and GDAL tabs.
    If you change these, you have to restart but if you want you can uncheck the ones for TIF and see if the image displays poorly and maybe even like Spatial.

All that is just diagnosing the issue. As to solving the problem, I believe the best thing you could do right now is to save the image as an MRR in MapInfo Pro and use that in Spectrum Spatial.   Check that it looks good in Spatial Manager if you go that route.  Note that in the upcoming release of Spectrum Spatial, you will be able to modify the display properties for MRR directly in Spatial Manager and they will be saved like a layer override.

For the future, we have discussed abandoning our older code for some formats or making it some sort of option and adopting the same code used in the Raster component of MapInfo Pro.  We already use some of this code for MRR support so the idea is not new.
    If all that I am saying turns out to be true, you could certainly raise your voice in support of this idea. 
    Also if you prefer that we diagnose this and keep it as a known issue,  please raise a support case and we can follow up on the issue in detail. My guesswork could also be wrong!

Regards,

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 3.  RE: Elevation grid styling different in Mapinfo and uploaded Spectrum layer

Posted 12-09-2019 01:05
    @Eric Blasenheim Thanks for the detailed response. 

As I needed to complete this over the weekend, I just converted it to a 16-bit elevation format tif file and then converted the similar colors to polygons and used a vector version of the data.

I had a question with PB support on this as I also couldn't convert to MRR as our client uses MI 32bit v15 as well and while the mrr would have been fine for me to upload to spectrum it doesn't work in MI.

Anyway I do support having an option to use older conversion processes in newer versions of the software.​

George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 4.  RE: Elevation grid styling different in Mapinfo and uploaded Spectrum layer

Posted 12-09-2019 11:56
    Edited by Susan Bardet 12-09-2019 11:58
    Hello George,

I rendered a DEM (SRTM 30m) in MapInfo Pro 17.0.3 and classified ​it to elevation values of equal intervals . When I uploaded the tif it did not render correctly in Spectrum Spatial, I then converted this to mrr format and uploaded the mrr to Spatial Manager. In Spatial Manager the DEM looks as expected. I read your message above that you use an older version of MapInfo Pro so this solution might not work for you as I did this in a newer version, but I just wanted to share this that by converting the file to mrr it does render correctly in Spectrum Spatial. Below is a screen shot showing how it looks in Spectrum Spatial.

Susan Bardet
    Software & Data support EMEA
    susan.bardet@pb.com

Pitney Bowes
    Henley-on-Thames
    RG9 6AB Oxfordshire
    United Kingdom
    pitneybowes.com

• 5.  RE: Elevation grid styling different in Mapinfo and uploaded Spectrum layer

Posted 12-10-2019 13:59
    George,
    Glad you found something to work.  If your client in using Pro 32 bit then everything I said about the raster component is not relevant.  Are you saying this TIF file works fine in that version but not in Spatial? If so could we get a look at it via a support case? ​

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY