MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Excel (xlsx files)

Posted 03-10-2020 12:22

I have a problem opening a table in MapInfo from a spreadsheet (.xlsx).

I have an .xlsx file which should be supported by the MapInfo software, but I can't open it, in order to create a layer.

If I save the same file as an .xls file (97-2003 format), it opens ok and I can then continue to display the data on a map as a layer.

I've checked the help functions and it should be as easy as the .xls version but it throws up an error message;
    Unable to create MapInfo table from file. Please check that the file is valid and available for write access.

Is there a known problem with opening .xlsx files?

This was a major reason for buying the latest version in order to deal with .xlsx files.

Graham

------------------------------
    Graham Smith

• 2.  RE: Excel (xlsx files)

Employee
    Posted 03-10-2020 23:56
    Edited by Shweta Shukla 03-10-2020 23:56
    Hello Graham, 

Please make sure you have the Microsoft Office 64-bit driver installed. If you already have the 32 bit driver installed on your system, MapInfo Pro installation process will not install the 64-bit Access Database Engine drivers necessary for 64-bit MapInfo Pro to access  Excel and Access. 

You can go through the Install Guide  to see the detailed instructions.  It should work. 

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 3.  RE: Excel (xlsx files)

Posted 03-11-2020 06:13
    Thanks - I'll check that.
    Problem might be that because it's a 'corporate' pc on a server (although with this software installed directly on my pc), I may not be able to change anything....  :)​

Graham Smith
    QinetiQ
    Winfrith