MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Exporting high quality vector

Posted 01-30-2019 10:20
    Hi all, I have an all Wales mapinfo table (also have as a shp) with a bespoke set of boundaries that we created, I need to get a high resolution vector from it that a graphic designer can use in the creation of a document.

Any ideas?

Mike

------------------------------
    Mike Hemming
    NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS)

• 2.  RE: Exporting high quality vector

Posted 01-31-2019 06:03
    Edited by Emma Daniel 01-31-2019 06:08
    The easy answer is to buy MaPublisher which is a plugin to seamlessly put MapInfo work into Adobe Illustrator. 

If that's not an option then it gets a bit trickier! MapInfo can only output to a raster image file (although there does seem to be an option to output to  an ancient .PSD file v3.0 but I haven't tried it). Why does your graphic designer want it in vector format? Do they want to edit layers or polygons? Or are they just concerned about image resolution? If so you can change the DPI as part of the save image process. 

Emma Daniel
    CDR Group
    HOPE VALLEY United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Exporting high quality vector

Posted 01-31-2019 06:21
    It's a one off really so not an option to buy a product.  It wouldn't really have been an issue if they's come to me to do the work in the first place but they have some low res maps from an online tool that they want to replicate so they want a file that's easy for them to mess around with, changing fills and lines etc.

I've managed a workaround this morning, did a 600dpi A3 print to pdf in Mapinfo, then opened the pdf in Illustrator, then saved that as an EPS

They seem to be happy with that....so they're out of my hair (what's left of it)

Thanks for your time Emma

Mike Hemming
    NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS
    Pontypool

• 4.  RE: Exporting high quality vector

Posted 01-31-2019 07:38
    Glad you've got a fix :)
    For curiosities sake, do the MapInfo PDF layers open in AI?

Emma Daniel
    CDR Group
    HOPE VALLEY United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Exporting high quality vector

Posted 01-31-2019 08:03
      |   view attached
    Not sure Emma, very much a dabbler with Illustrator, I only had it because it cam with PS and In-Design if i open a layered pdf in it I get something like the attached, so it looks like its breaking some of them down

Mike Hemming
    NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS
    Pontypool