Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  What do data consumers desire in an online data marketplace?

Posted 06-03-2019 11:33

There are many kinds of data marketplaces out there on the web today. Some are very software application, user type centric serving up information and content with only that user persona in mind. Others only offer data for display or as analytics and some are just websites with narrow content around a limited amount of available data types offered for purchase off-line or with a paid subscription. Finally, there are data marketplaces that only connect sellers and buyers of available data with very sparse information.

Some key questions to be answered:

• What elements of a "full service" data marketplace is most important to data consumers? Is learning content most important?
    • How important are data visualization tools to show how some data sets render spatially in a geographic area of interest?
    • Is it important to be able download a small sample of data for detailed review before purchasing?
    • For different use cases, do data consumers prefer bulk data downloads or data as a service (DaaS)?
    • Is it realistic that data buyers might want to purchase simple data sets such as geographic boundaries on-line?

I want to know what data experts think!

Steve Barnes

Product Manager, Pitney Bowes Software and Data Marketplace

------------------------------
    Stephen Barnes
    PB Software and Data Marketplace
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Shelton CT

• 2.  RE: What do data consumers desire in an online data marketplace?

Posted 06-06-2019 21:51
    Hi Steve

Below are my brief responses/thoughts to the questions you have posed.
    What elements of a "full service" data marketplace is most important to data consumers? Is learning content most important?  Access to sample data, product guides, purchase ability, data guide/visualisation to assist with decision on data to obtain.
    How important are data visualization tools to show how some data sets render spatially in a geographic area of interest?  Critical
    Is it important to be able download a small sample of data for detailed review before purchasing?  Definitely
    For different use cases, do data consumers prefer bulk data downloads or data as a service (DaaS)?  I think there is potential for both options depending on use case.  If pushed to decide one way or the other then I would go with download.
    Is it realistic that data buyers might want to purchase simple data sets such as geographic boundaries on-line?  Definitely.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Tony Maber
    Location Analytics & Data - PreSales
    Pitney Bowes
    Sydney - Australia