MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Importing MapInfo Files (.mif & .mid) into Trimble Pathfinder Office

Posted 02-09-2022 13:09
    I need to import a .mif of data (curb valves) into Pathfinder Office so I can then send it over to a Trimble Geo7X for updating and collecting more curb valves. Pathfinder has an Import Utility but I need to find the .mif.
    "To import a MapInfo (.mif) file, the associated .mid file must be in the same folder."    Where do I find/do this?

thanks.

------------------------------
    Dan Werner
    Town of MIddlebury Dept of Pub
    Middlebury VT

• 2.  RE: Importing MapInfo Files (.mif & .mid) into Trimble Pathfinder Office

Posted 02-10-2022 04:09
    Dan,

when you export a table to mid/mif format from MapInfo it automatically creates both files.  One for the data and one for the geography.  If you only have the .mif file then you haven't been given all the data files as the .mid should be with it.

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 3.  RE: Importing MapInfo Files (.mif & .mid) into Trimble Pathfinder Office

Posted 02-10-2022 13:40
    Nick,

I've found (created) the mif through the Table, then Export. But Pathfinder is also looking for the mid as you describe. How do I do that, use the Universal Translator process?

thanks,
    Dan

Dan Werner
    Middlebury VT

• 4.  RE: Importing MapInfo Files (.mif & .mid) into Trimble Pathfinder Office

Posted 02-10-2022 17:58
    @Dan Werner if you go Table > Export > Save as type "mapinfo interchange format (*.mif)"

Both the .mif & .mid files are created together at the same time in the same location​

Jason Hemingway
    Coordinator Spatial & Asset Services
    Information Services
    Cassowary Coast Regional Council
    Australia

• 5.  RE: Importing MapInfo Files (.mif & .mid) into Trimble Pathfinder Office

Posted 02-11-2022 13:32

Thanks Nick & Jason, but....
    I did that, but now I get> "Invalid MapInfo MIF Format. The following input file(s) are not in the correct format. Hydrants.MIF" (for example). I tried it for curb valves and hydrants; same result. At least I'm consistent.
    thanks,
    Dan.

Dan Werner
    Middlebury VT

• 6.  RE: Importing MapInfo Files (.mif & .mid) into Trimble Pathfinder Office

Posted 02-12-2022 05:19
    there is version numbers in the header of the .mif file.  maybe Pathfinder is expecting a different version?

Maybe run the data through the Universal translator to convert to a .shp file and try loading that instead.

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester