Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  US Privacy Legislation - What's Next?

Employee
    Posted 05-08-2019 00:52
    ​California and Vermont have passed legislation for consumer data privacy. Is a Federal consumer privacy law imminent? The debate has started. I'm curious to hear any thoughts or comments the data community has on this issue.

https://www.meritalk.com/articles/data-privacy-on-the-hill-gdpr-ccpa-and-federal-legislation/

------------------------------
    Dylan Conrad
    Product Manager

• 2.  RE: US Privacy Legislation - What's Next?

Employee
    Posted 05-09-2019 06:31
    An important subject Dylan. I think with GDPR getting embedded in Europe and a number of high profile data stories in the media I think we can only expect more legislation in regard to data privacy.

Andy Bell
    Director
    Global Data Product Management
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data
    Leeds, UK

• 3.  RE: US Privacy Legislation - What's Next?

Posted 05-10-2019 07:17
    That's an interesting question, Dylan. The US Constitution doesn't explicitly state that an individual has a specific right to privacy, but Supreme Court rulings over the past century have set a precedent that such a right exists "in the shadow" of other enumerated rights. Where the Constitution does speak to elements of privacy, it does so with regard to what the government can and can't do, not private actors. For these reasons, I suspect we're more likely to see legislation at the state level, with Congress eventually stepping in to standardize various state laws.

Andy Cybruch
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Maitland FL

• 4.  RE: US Privacy Legislation - What's Next?

Employee
    Posted 05-13-2019 14:45

I agree with both the comments above.  Additional legislation in the US is inevitable, but I also anticipate the majority of privacy legislation to be created at the state level.  I think we'll find a great range of public opinions on this subject as it continues to evolve. 

Dylan Conrad
    Product Manager