Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 06-29-2018 21:06
      |   view attached

So I have finally gotten MapInfo Pro's Spectrum Uploader to work and upload a map. I can see this map from within Spatial Service Manager.

Now how do I "Publish" this to a public URL so anyone can see the map?

Thanks,

-- Steve

See Attachment

• 2.  RE: How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 07-01-2018 19:13

Hi Steve,

Do you have Spectrum Spatial Analyst or are you trying to publish maps directly from Spectrum Spatial?

• 3.  RE: How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 07-01-2018 19:48

Depends on the interface you want. The quickest would be to go to Services -> WMS -> +(Add WMS Layers) -> Add your map

Then grab the URL from WMS -> Capabilities. If that is publicly accessible then you're good to go.

• 4.  RE: How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 07-01-2018 19:56
    Thanks - I’m looking to publish a web map of a workspace developed in Spectrum.

• 5.  RE: How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 07-02-2018 11:44

?Steve,

Maybe you could explain more what you mean by publish. To lots of people, publish might just mean "Make it available on the web".  To others it might be a PDF but I doubt that in your case.

To publish on the public internet, you need an application that can connect to Spectrum Spatial which renders the map/layers ... via its API. Obviously we have Spectrum Spatial Analyst but we have partners and others who write their own applications as well. 

As William Dean mentioned, you can also expose anything in Spectrum Spatial via WMS (or WMTS) as long as you have a client (web app, Pro, other GIS) that can access it.

One decent trick to putting a map into WMS is to use a Group Layer in MapInfo Pro. You can create a WMS layer out of multiple layers but you have to get the order right and it can be error prone. If you upload a group Layer, then you can add just a single entity into WMS preserving all the ordering. It makes it a bit simpler. A group layer really is just like a map without a initial center and zoom. 

To give public access to the WMS you need to have Spectrum server on a public site or use a proxy. We are working on this for the default WMS that comes with Pro which is way out of date. Actually all that is in place but are just working on finalizing the data layers. If anyone has input on content that would be welcomed as well.

Lastly, while quibbling is not the point, I try not to use the name "workspace" with Spectrum Spatial. A MapInfo Pro workspace contains potentially, multiple maps, layouts, browsers,  tool window locations and sizes, printer info etc. Spectrum Spatial has maps, layers, tables and data connections all of which can be used separately or together. But it has no workspace.

Even an Analyst map config is not the same as a Pro workspace. 

• 6.  RE: How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 07-03-2018 10:44

Eric, I had hoped to take a map from a MI Pro Workspace that I had uploaded to Spectrum and expose that map to the Web. Sounds like I need SSA, or some custom code I create, right?

Thanks,

-- Steve

• 7.  RE: How do I "Publish" a map?

Posted 07-03-2018 11:54

Yes. Spectrum Spatial is entirely the service tier. I could give you a WMS or a Spectrum map url which you could make available on the web but most people don't want a url that produces a static map image. They want an application that lets the pan and zoom at the least. 

Here's a "published Web map" (using Spectrum Spatial)  but to make it interactive one needs an application, even if it is a lightweight custom one. 

http://spectrumspatialogcservicesdemo.pb.com/rest/Spatial/WMS?VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=CameoSanFrancisco&STYLES=&CRS=CRS:84&BBOX=-122.50089,37.744072,-122.395633,37.799201&WIDTH=1284&HEIGHT=672&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=TRUE&BGCOLOR=0x000000&EXCEPTIONS=XML