UK Users Group

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

• 1.  Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-23-2018 16:36

I'm sure this is an old chestnut, but does anyone know of an .mbx which will update a column with a ?British National Grid Reference based on easting and northing columns (one of easting and one of northing).  Nothing I know of seems to do this.

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-24-2018 05:09

Hi @Jane Mason? 

There is the Co-ordinate Extractor supplied with MapInfo - found under the Tool Manager, if you are using 32-bit MapInfo. It even sets up the new columns and choice of projection.?

• 3.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-24-2018 06:23

Thanks, John - what I'm after though is conversion to BNG reference from eastings and northings (e.g. 568300 236500 to TL683365), and vice versa.

• 4.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-24-2018 09:07

Ah ha - terminology. The x and y coordinates are what I would term BNG - the other being more like an OS map reading term. 4-figure, 6-figure, 8-figure or 10-figure??

• 5.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-24-2018 09:34

Well, 6-figure would excellent, but to be able to vary output would be ideal!?

• 6.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-29-2018 05:18

@Jane Mason? I am not aware of a MapInfo tool to do this but this spreadsheet from OS does what you are after... might take you a while to do multiple easting/northings though! You might be able to use the VB code from the spreadsheet to work out how to do it in MapBasic?

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/support/maptile-gridref-conversion.xls

• 7.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-29-2018 10:25

Many thanks Alistair - yes, the VB code might help with batch processes.  Thanks?

• 8.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-30-2018 07:37

Many years ago, I wrote some MapBasic code that did the conversion (both ways). I think I still have the code on a CD at home, so will check tonight.

• 9.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-30-2018 09:18

Thanks very much, Greg.  That would be very useful.?

• 10.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 01-30-2018 16:21

Hi Jane, Here's the MapBasic mbx - it's from 2005, so will probably only run on older versions (32-bit) of MapInfo. The code will add a column to the selected table and populate this with the OS map reference - SU12349876. I could provide the source code but I'll need to hunt around as the code references another library of functions and I couldn't find this, but I'm sure it's somewhere on my PC!

Greg

• 11.  RE: Converting BNG eastings and northings to British National Grid Reference

Posted 02-01-2018 08:27

?Thanks very much, Greg - that works!  It adds a column and populates it with the 6-figure OS grid reference.  Thanks for your help.