Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  How to change map icons

Posted 08-04-2019 19:36
    Hi

I'm wanting to know how to change map icons in SSA after they have been uploaded from Mapinfo. I'm not talking about editing infotemplates but rather how the icon is represented on the map - does anyone know the file that stores this information?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    David

------------------------------
    David Edwards
    Manager eSolutions
    Waverley Council

• 2.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-05-2019 00:12
    Hi David,

Thank you for seeking out answers to your query in the Knowledge Community!

I want to know more about your expectations and want you to correct me if I am wrong. Are you looking for changing the symbols that are available inside a map ? For example, if you had a map that contains star symbols for world countries (as shown in the following screenshot) , are you looking to change this star symbol to something else :
    Map containing star symbols

Nalin Mathur
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida

• 3.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-05-2019 00:21
    Hi Nalin

Yes that is correct, I am wanting to use my own custom icons from the following website within SSA - https://mapicons.mapsmarker.com/

I'm just wondering what the best approach is for doing this?

Thanks

David Edwards
    Manager eSolutions
    Waverley Council

• 4.  RE: How to change map icons
    Best Answer

Posted 08-05-2019 00:42

Hi David

There are two high level steps to using custom map symbols

First make the symbols available to Spectrum Spatial

Obtain a copy of the symbols (ideally in PNG or GIF format to support background transparency)

In Spectrum Spatia2018.2 you can create and add symbols to a custom symbols folder. This folder can be configured to be outside of the install path so it is retained when upgrading

http://support.pb.com/help/spectrum/18.2/en/webhelp/Spatial/index.html#Spatial/source/Development/devguide/tutorials/custsymbols/overview.html

In Spectrum Spatial 12.1 and prior symbols are copied into the install path under lib.

http://support.pb.com/help/spectrum/12.2/en/webhelp/Spatial/index.html#Spatial/source/Development/devguide/tutorials/custsymbols/overview.html

Second - style override your layers to reference the symbols.

This can be done either (1) in MapInfo Professional and then the layers are uploaded the named resources (Named Layer) will include the style override or (2) in Spectrum Spatial Manager 2018.2 by modifying thee layer and adding a style override

Not that style override is preferable to editing TAB files and applying the styles to the data itself. You can also use individual value thematic maps to style different data with different symbols based on a column in the data.

Mustafa Ismail
    Product Architect
    Pitney Bowes
    London UK

• 5.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-05-2019 01:35
    Thanks Mustafa for your reply but I'm still a little confused... I have uploaded an image of how a layer appears in Mapinfo and then a second image of how the same layer appears in SSA. This was setup originally by a PB Consultant and I can't seem to figure out how he managed to change the icons?

David Edwards
    Manager eSolutions
    Waverley Council

• 6.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-05-2019 01:54
    Hi David -  If you have a new icon to use in place of the blue push pin that appears in Spectrum Spatial Analyst, you will need the new symbol added to both (1) MapInfo Pro's custom symbol folder to be able to pick the symbol when styling a layer in MapInfo Pro and also (2) to Spectrum Spatial to have them appear in Spectrum. The same symbol name (of the PNG image) should be the same in both places. Once the symbol is there you can pick it for style override in either MapInfo Pro or in Spatial Manager (in 2018.2 onwards)

Mustafa Ismail
    Product Architect
    Pitney Bowes
    London UK

• 7.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-05-2019 02:05
    Hi David,

Mustafa has given an all-inclusive reply to show how a custom symbol can be used inside a map changing the existing symbols available. If you have gone through the documentation and suggestions and require some additional help in figuring out the solution to your query, we would also encourage you to raise a case to Pitney Bowes Software Support or we can do it on your behalf to contact you personally!

Nalin Mathur
    Noida

• 8.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-05-2019 02:16
    Hi Mustafa and Nalin

Thank you both so much for your replies - I now understand how to do this task. I just need to add the required symbols I want to display in SSA, to the relevant Mapinfo folder such as C:\Users\davide\AppData\Roaming\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700\CustSymb - where davide is your user profile.

Then I can simply use the style overide function in Mapinfo to change the map icons to the new custom icons I want to use, and then use the map uploader function to upload the layer and style into SSA.

Thanks again

David Edwards
    Manager eSolutions
    Waverley Council

• 9.  RE: How to change map icons

Posted 08-06-2019 00:13
    Hi David,

It's great to know that you found what you were looking for! 

To help other community members, there is a Knowledge Base Article available online that talks about all the aspects of the Custom Symbols in the MapInfo Professional and provide a video illustration to it too :

http://support.pitneybowes.com/SearchArticles/VFP05_KnowledgeWithSidebarHowTo?id=kA180000000CmPFCA0&popup=false;&lang=en_US

Nalin Mathur
    Noida