MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapping Contest-Maps for Commerce-Market Analysis for Tesla Dealerships in Toronto

Posted 10-31-2017 18:01
      |   view attached

As Tesla motors expands it market from primarily luxury electric vehicles to more family friendly cross overs and sedans it is clear that Tesla has its eyes set on the upper-middle class, millennial market. To meet the demands of this new market Tesla must expand its dealership network. Toronto Ontario has become a large promoter of electric vehicles and represents a large sales territory for Tesla due to its large population of upper middle-class citizens. This project utilized the Canadian household survey and other open data to identify clusters of census tracts which include potential Tesla customers. These factors include, income, number of drivers, and millennials. A typical Tesla customer earns on average 100 thousand dollars per year and up, they are typically males and between the ages of 30-45. By mapping out these attributes I was able to identify three potential dealership locations near to these markets and close to existing auto-parks which will ensure Tesla can continue its growth in the Toronto Market. See Attachment

• 2.  RE: Mapping Contest-Maps for Commerce-Market Analysis for Tesla Dealerships in Toronto

Posted 11-02-2017 04:20

Karl,

This is really good. I have two questions and one comment. What version of MI Pro are you using? And how did you create those graphs? Is that the built in graphing from the 32 bit versions?

The comment is that when you have regions of widely varying size (as in the 'Population that Drive' map) you might want to try mapping on a density statistic rather than a magnitude value. Some high value regions that are small could get "lost". And some larger regions might mislead as to their suitability when they aggregate to a high value but one that is spread over a large area. Does that make sense?

Tom

• 3.  RE: Mapping Contest-Maps for Commerce-Market Analysis for Tesla Dealerships in Toronto

Posted 11-02-2017 18:02

Hi Tom!

Thanks for taking an interest in my map. First off, this project was completed in MapInfo Pro and the graphs are actually just images taken from a market report and inserted into the map through the insert image tab on the layout menu.

As for your comment, I totally understand where you are coming from however, in this case I was primarily interested in the absolute number of individuals in each CT because I wanted to understand the actual number of potential clients in each region. Density maps were used to understand the distribution of potential clients across the region but were not included in this layout.

Cheers

-Karl