MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Map Contest Submission: Maps for Commerce - "Bullseye Map"

Posted 10-26-2017 22:46
      |   view attached

See Attachment

Hello MapInfoers!

I call this a "Bullseye Map". The symbols are an analogy to an archer trying to hit a target with an arrow. The closer to the center, the better the shot. The intention is for this to be used to visualize percentages or otherwise progress to a goal.

I created a special TrueType font for this. The font contains symbols to represent each of the rings for the target.

In this example the "target" has four rings. Achieving 100% is represented with an arrow hitting the bullseye. Look at the legend to see how this works.

I am providing the font to the MapInfo Pro Engineering team at Pitney Bowes.

Tom Probert

• 2.  RE: Map Contest Submission: Maps for Commerce - "Bullseye Map"

Employee
    Posted 10-27-2017 03:09

Nice one, Tom!

• 3.  RE: Map Contest Submission: Maps for Commerce - "Bullseye Map"

Posted 10-27-2017 07:44

This looks really nice, Tom! I love the new font!

• 4.  RE: Map Contest Submission: Maps for Commerce - "Bullseye Map"

Posted 10-29-2017 15:32
      |   view attached

Here is another way to show progress towards a goal. I call this a "Meter Map". I used a half pie chart. The values are the percentage and (1 - the percentage) to make up the half pie.

Both of these maps suffer from the fact that you need a fair amount of space for the symbols but with this meter map you might get away with slightly smaller symbols as compared to the "Bullseye map".

A full pie symbol might be used and therefore show how far beyond 100% a value is but the legend would require some customization.

See Attachment I am getting some data on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to try these techniques.

• 5.  RE: Map Contest Submission: Maps for Commerce - "Bullseye Map"

Posted 10-29-2017 18:22

This is cool. Very creative

• 6.  RE: Map Contest Submission: Maps for Commerce - "Bullseye Map"

Posted 11-01-2017 17:56

I'm continuing to explore ways to map progress towards a goal. The first examples below are called a "Thermometer map". This was created by overlaying one Bar chart map upon another. Creating a legend for this can be a little tricky if you want to overlay them too. I did that for one of the maps.

You might prefer just a regular old side by side bar chart so check out the third and fourth maps below.

The previous examples (the Bullseye map and the Meter map) only showed the percentage towards achieving the revenue goal. In the examples below, two of them are mapping the revenue values in relation to each other instead of as a percent. A nice thing here, as compared to the Meter map, is that it is easy to see when a revenue target has been exceeded.

See Attachment

Above: A Thermometer map showing the percentage towards the target revenue. This is done by creating two different bar chart maps and overlaying one upon the other.

The bottom bar chart (revenue target/100%) is set to a width of .6 centimeters. The percentage revenue bar chart is set to a width of .3 centimeters.

See Attachment

Above: Another take on the Thermometer map. In this the size of the bars relates to the size of the revenues. Also, I tried to create a legend that shows both bars by overlaying the one legend upon the other.

See Attachment

Above: This is a more standard type of bar chart map. To do this it is necessary to remember to set the scale of the value towards the target (the revenue achieved, in this case) to be the same as the target column (revenue target, in this case). The height was set to 4 centimeters.

The labels were down manually.

See Attachment

Above: Finally, one last standard bar chart map. The target was set to 100 and this is compared against the percentage of revenue achieved. I did not create a column with 100 in it. Instead I just used an expression to assign a value of 100.

That was fun. Hope you like it. I'd appreciate knowing if you like the Thermometer style maps (or not).

Tom