MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  How to cut/clip Heat Maps (Hotspot Density) to a secondary layer?

Posted 07-12-2018 19:10

I've been trying to create Heat Maps within MapInfo v15 and v17, until now all online guides have pointed me at creating a Thematic Map - Grid. As I'm trying to map it against a Highway network it's fairly extensive and in it's "raw" version looks good but possibly a bit cluttered. I've used the additional Grid option to cut the heat layer to the road network which didn't look great, but it was better than coloured blobs. Using this was very slow, especially when I wanted to make any modifications to the output.

I've not needed to use the Advanced sections since they were introduced but having seen the webcast today about the polygonise tool, I have played around on the trial version of 17 I've got, and it's so much better (mainly because it's quick), but it seems to be lacking the ability to cut this to additional data.

Is this possible to do? (a colleague has got heat maps working within ArcGIS webmap, but I'm committed to keeping this within MI as much as posisble!)

Here is what I managed in v15....

See Attachment

See Attachment

and my progress so far in v17.

See Attachment

• 2.  RE: How to cut/clip Heat Maps (Hotspot Density) to a secondary layer?

Posted 07-16-2018 19:44

Hi @James King? you can find the raster Clip tool in the Raster Operations Section of the Raster Tab or by typing "clip" into the quick search tool (in the top right of the window in Pro v17 next to the minimize button). There is a overview of the Clip tool here The following link is no longer available. To access this information, copy the title found in the url into the search tool on the top nav bar, or try searching for key words in the post. https://li360.pitneybowes.com/s/article/How-to-use-the-Clip-tool-for-Raster-images-in-MapInfo-Pro .

For your use case it sounds like you will first need to create a buffer of your road network to provide an input Polygon layer for the Clip tool.

• 3.  RE: How to cut/clip Heat Maps (Hotspot Density) to a secondary layer?

Posted 08-07-2018 11:44

Mitchell, I've tried and test this, and works how I wanted it to. Thanks for your help.👍