UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  Importing Land Cover Map 2020 (25m rasterised land parcels) in MapInfo Pro 2019

Posted 01-12-2022 08:16
    Hello all,

I have this TIF file Land Cover Map 2020 (25m rasterised land parcels, GB) - EIDC (ceh.ac.uk) covering Suffolk. It is a three-band dataset in GeoTiff format.  Has anyone opened this in MapInfo?  I have Pro 2019 but not Pro Advanced. When I open the TIF the Image Registration box opens asking me to display or register it but how can I register this?  If I just display it it opens in Non-Earth (feet).  But I don't know what the bounds of this are to be able to register it.  If I open it in QGIS it displays in BNG and I can use Identify Features to interrogate the cells and read the Band attributes.

Then there is the display. In the documentation there is a colour recipe for displaying the land cover classes, with values for Red, Green and Blue.  But how does this relate to the Band attributes?  There are three number value attributes: Band 1 is the dominant land cover _mode; band 2 is _conf (mean parcel most likely land cover probability); and band 3 _purity (per parcel purity).

If anyone knows how to import and display this type of dataset I'd be really grateful if you could share your knowledge. It's a long time since I worked with classified rasters and I feel very ignorant - I don't have a lot of time to spare for researching this, so may have to park it.

Many thanks,
    Jane

------------------------------
    Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 2.  RE: Importing Land Cover Map 2020 (25m rasterised land parcels) in MapInfo Pro 2019

Posted 01-12-2022 10:52
    Hi Jane
    CEH can supply a tab to go with the tif file - just ask.
    Have they supplied a tfw file? The tfw also holds the registration/co-ordinate details and can be used to register the tif.
    Regards

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: Importing Land Cover Map 2020 (25m rasterised land parcels) in MapInfo Pro 2019

Posted 01-12-2022 11:21
    Hi John,
    Thanks!  No, they didn't supply a tfw so that's probably the problem.  I'll ask for the tab too.  
    Happy New Year!
    Jane

Jane Mason

• 4.  RE: Importing Land Cover Map 2020 (25m rasterised land parcels) in MapInfo Pro 2019

Posted 01-12-2022 12:12
    I have a sample file (under licence).
    There are 2 bands in the file and on the Raster ribbon you switch between the 2 bands, showing different classifications.

From the documentation:
    This is supplied as a 2-band raster, where band 1 is the LCM2015 classification (dominant) class per polygon and band 2 is the mean per-polygon probability from the Random Forest classifier.
    In MapInfo they are numbered Band 0 and Band 1.
    Enjoy

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Importing Land Cover Map 2020 (25m rasterised land parcels) in MapInfo Pro 2019

Posted 01-13-2022 06:55
    Many thanks John, I'll give it a try when they send me the registration info.

Jane Mason