MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  5 reasons why you should be excited by MapInfo Marketplace

Employee
    Posted 04-02-2019 21:02
    You are probably reading this article thinking "I have heard all of this before." Over the years you have been told many reasons you should get excited about the NEXT version of MapInfo Pro. So? What is different about the MapInfo Marketplace?  
    It all comes down to one real-world problem we are trying to solve:  
    How do we deliver solutions to MapInfo Pro users faster? 

We believe that the MapInfo Marketplace can help solve this problem and so much more. 

Reason 1: 
    Features delivered faster  

One of the fundamentals of MapInfo Pro desktop has been delivering new versionon an annual basis. With those versions we often deliver new features giving you the opportunity to stick with the version you have or go through the uninstall and install process. 
    This can sometimes be problematic for larger organizations that often require IT intervention. With the MapInfo Marketplace, we have the opportunity to expand our features with minimal impact to you. Not only that, we can deliver bug fixes and new features as soon as they are complete. 

Reason 2: Tailored to you 

Personalization is a big part of our strategy going forwardWe want to deliver tailored recommendations based on what you need. This could include your business vertical, your previous download history, what other likeminded people download, and what items compliment your current downloads. 
    With the MapInfo Marketplace, we will be offering a wide array of free applications; grouping and ranking them to offer your own personalized experience using your Pitney Bowes account. 

Reason 3: More than just Apps 

Applications are just the first step in the process. We want to offer a wide variety of downloads. For example, sample data sets, custom symbols, and even Layout Templates. We want to give you more reasons to come back to the marketplace and help you find what you want without having to make it yourself. 
    This will allow you to complete your work faster using the tools and data shared by the MapInfo Pro community.  

Image result for browsers

Reason 4: Direct Web Access 

One of the benefits of being a web-based portal is the fact that even older versions of MapInfo Pro can take advantage of the offerings in the MapInfo Marketplace. 
    You will be able to login with your Pitney Bowes account, navigate to the MapInfo Marketplace and download all the items you want. Check the download information for what version of Pro they are compatible with. That way you know what will work before you download. 

Reason 5: 
    Single Click Installation 

With the latest version of MapInfo Pro v17.0.3 and beyond, you will have a MapInfo Marketplace app in your Tool Manager that will be pre-loaded. This will embed the MapInfo Marketplace into MapInfo Pro, allowing you easy access to those same downloads with one huge benefit.  
    As soon as you find the item you want, you just click the install button and we take care of the rest; the download, the installation and execution in your instance of MapInfo Pro giving you the best user experience with very little intervention.  
    Also, because all your downloads link to your Pitney Bowes account, if you upgrade to a new version of PRO, your list of tools come with you. With a few clicks, you can pull down all your apps and have your version of MapInfo Pro just the way you like it. 

Final Notes 

MapInfo Marketplace will be delivering a preview with MapInfo Pro v17.0.3. 
    Our final release is targeted for the MapInfo Pro 2019 timeframe.  
    One of the benefits of our cloud-based approach is the fact that there will be several updates between the MapInfo Pro v17.0.3 release and MapInfo Pro 2019 beyond, delivering solutions to MapInfo Pro faster. 
    All items will be free in the early iterations of MapInfo Marketplace, so come and check it out. I look forward to providing more updates as we progress and I hope you are as excited as we are. 

------------------------------
    David Oneill
    Principal Software Engineer and Digital Transformation Junkie
    MapInfo Pro

• 2.  RE: 5 reasons why you should be excited by MapInfo Marketplace

Posted 04-26-2019 10:12
    One of the great things about a robust piece of software like Excel, is that there are functions in there I may never use, and ones I did not know I needed until I searched for how to solve a problem. Since all the features are there, and I can test them out and see if they suit the particular needs I have. I never have to go to some Microsoft Store to search for some additional function and buy it to use it.

I am not excited about this notion. Now instead of getting all the developed new features with a new release, I'll have to check the Marketplace to see if there might be some new feature that solves a particular need. Then, since the only people who had any feedback into the tool were the few who purchased it, no telling how well the additional tool was thought out. 

Also when I need a tool, I will have to get write up a case for needing this software, then get authorization and approval to buy this tool (no matter how little it costs, unless I want to pay for it out of my pocket), then wait for approval and payment, then get I.T. to come install the Marketplace addition (because computers are being locked down more and more). This is a nightmare. None of this would happen if everything was included in the base system.

Then there is the cost. When a small segment of users are the only ones who buy an add-on, the cost is much higher than if that same cost was spread across the entire installed user base.

Lastly we know how little engineering pays attention to problems in MBX add-ins right now. We will pay money for something that will not get any support because it is not part of the main product where all the manpower is allocated. 

This will not generate more revenue for Pitney Bowes, but create a larger divide between the included feature set existing in Pro versus what competitors offer by default in their software.

Maybe I'm not alone, since this post has been out here for a month and only three people "liked" it?!
    -- Steve Wallace

Steve Wallace
    Florida Farm Bureau Insurance

• 3.  RE: 5 reasons why you should be excited by MapInfo Marketplace

Employee
    Posted 04-26-2019 15:21
    Hey Steve,

Thank you for your feedback. I think that we might not have done a good job explaining our goals and intentions for the MapInfo Marketplace.

1. Although it's called a "marketplace," its main purpose is to improve customer experience by making it easier to discover and maintain MapInfo add-ins.  All of the add-ins that we have created to date will continue to be free.  In the future, we may have apps for sale that go beyond core functionality of MapInfo Pro, but even those will usually have a free version that allows you to try it out before making a purchase.
    2. The Marketplace is embedded in MapInfo Pro, so in 2 clicks you will be in a Search box looking for a tool or solution to your problem.  It wasn't clear from your post whether you realized this.
    3. We will continue to deliver add-ins that we develop with the MapInfo Pro installer.  Our intention is to get features and fixes to you faster through the Marketplace. With our current release cycle, when you report an issue you could wait months for a fix to be delivered. With the Marketplace, it can be rolled out to you the instant it is fixed. The Marketplace is a tool to allow us to be more agile and responsive to our customer's needs.
    4. We will maintain high standards for the quality of add-ins (and other offerings) in the MapInfo Marketplace.  The engineers who build and test our add-ins are the same ones that build and test the MapInfo Pro features.  Every add-in that is developed in-house or by a partner tested by our Engineering team before release.  When it makes sense we will get customer feedback on add-ins prior to release as part of the design and testing process.
    5. For most of the tools in the Marketplace, the default install repository for is a location on your computer that does not require IT intervention. If you launch MapInfo Pro for the first time after install, it loads all of the add-ins into the same user app data directory.  In short, the default installation location is not bound by the same rigors as other system folders that concern many IT Departments.
    I hope I helped clarify some of your concerns.

David Oneill
    Principal Software Engineer and Digital Transformation Junkie
    MapInfo Pro

• 4.  RE: 5 reasons why you should be excited by MapInfo Marketplace

Posted 06-12-2019 14:04
    Hi Steve,

As always, thank you for the feedback.  One of our overarching goals here, as @David Oneill calls out, is to deliver new and/or industry-specific capabilities to our customers, while improving usability.  This will include new capabilities built directly by us, our user community, our current or future partners, and even potentially independent software developers​.  As you might expect, we are very proud of this work and ultimately believe that it will streamline getting additional functionality into the hands of our customers.

-Clarence

Clarence Hempfield
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT