Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-06-2019 19:37
    I have noticed that every 3 weeks or so that the server hosting Spectrum Spatial Analyst will need to be restarted as SSA stops functioning correctly. I'm investigating whether it is possible to setup an email alert once the SSA service malfunctions - has anyone else done this and if so what criteria did you set to trigger the email alert.

Thanks
    David

------------------------------
    David Edwards
    Manager eSolutions
    Waverley Council

• 2.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-08-2019 18:30
    Edited by Duri Bradshaw 01-08-2019 18:45
    Hi David,

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for but could you restart SSA once a week to avoid this issue? I used to do this with Exponare.

You can stop/start a service on a scheduled task using this command

net stop AnalystConnect
    net start AnalystConnect

There are probably tools you can get that will monitor a URL and tell you if the site is down but I have not used these so can't comment on how they work, another option would be to write a script that checks a URL using curl and then sends and email if you get a 404 error.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 3.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-08-2019 23:34

Hi Duri

Thank you for your email response. Yes that is a good suggestion and one which I will implement. That should solve the issues I've been experiencing from reoccurring which was the purpose of my question.

Cheers

David Edwards

Manager eSolutions | Digital Waverley

Cnr Paul St and Bondi Rd, Bondi Junction NSW 2022

P: 02 9083 8235 I M: 0401 409 169 

E: david.edwards@waverley.nsw.gov.au
    W: www.waverley.nsw.gov.au

image001.jpg@01D425BD.C2DEB950

Connect with us

facebook I twitter I youtube

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or any attachments

• 4.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-09-2019 00:17
    Hi David,

We had various issues with SSA where users were experiencing odd behavior and performance issues, once we restarted the PB Spectrum Technology Platform then all would return to normal. I am not sure if that was occurring due to masses of data changing in the background nightly and/or the fact that we have address data being uploaded to SSA nightly, so we created a Scheduled Task that restarts the PB Spectrum Technology Platform service. This is run each morning at 7am. The PB Spectrum Technology Platform service name is 'leslie'.

Hope this helps..

Regards,
    Tony Jordan

Tony Jordan
    GIS Coordinator
    District Council of Mount Barker
    Mount Barker

• 5.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-09-2019 00:30

Thanks Tony, I'm not sure either why SSA experiences weird issues from time to time but like you have suggested, a regular restart of the server or simply the Spectrum Technology Platform should do the trick.

I appreciate your response.

David Edwards

Manager eSolutions | Digital Waverley

Cnr Paul St and Bondi Rd, Bondi Junction NSW 2022

P: 02 9083 8235 I M: 0401 409 169 

E: david.edwards@waverley.nsw.gov.au
    W: www.waverley.nsw.gov.au

image001.jpg@01D425BD.C2DEB950

Connect with us

facebook I twitter I youtube

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or any attachments

• 6.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Employee
    Posted 01-09-2019 10:37
    Hi David and Tony,

It appears Spectrum isn't working as expected in both your environments, as restarting your services is not an ideal expectation.

I would recommend you reach out to the Pitney Bowes Software Technical Support team by starting with the below URL:
    DCS Global Contacts | Pitney Bowes

Nestaly Nin
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC

• 7.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-09-2019 10:45

At Southwark SSA has always suffered from service failures. Although we've just had around two month of continuous service it has gone down four times today (STOP PRESS: make that fives time today. It's just gone again). Each time I have to restart the Pitney Bowes Technology Platform service.

The question was about some form of email notification when SSA is not working. To be honest I already have one: the users! They don't waste a moment to tell me when it's down (if I hadn't already noticed myself).

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart Carter

Corporate GIS Manager

Southwark Council

2nd floor, zone B

160 Tooley Street

London, SE1 2QH

Tel: (0207 52) 55409

stuart.carter@southwark.gov.uk

• 8.  RE: Email notification when SSA is not working properly?

Posted 01-09-2019 18:25
    Edited by Jason Hemingway 01-09-2019 18:30
    David, we have had this problem since going live back in 2016 with v7. We sent off logs to support to try and sort it out after a couple of months of little headway the new version was out and they told us to upgrade to see if that sorted it out, it didn't. Restarting the services each night doesn't help either, as Stuart Carter said we just restart the Spectrum Platform service when it happens, the users let us know and usually back live in 10-15mins.

I forgot to add, it freezes less than it used too, and I have never been as lucky as Stuart and had Spectrum freeze 5 times in the day (2 was my worst I think). I have had it happen about 4 times in the last 6 months I think.

Regards,

Jason Hemingway
    Coordinator Asset Mgt & GIS
    Cassowary Coast Regional Council
    Innisfail Australia