UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Posted 10-11-2017 11:57

Hi, I use OS Open data a lot in MapInfo. Its frustrating that many of the vector data sets have stylesheets for Arc & QGIS but nothing similar is available for MapInfo. Is there a plan for PB to work with OS to allow more data to be downloaded in .TAB or a way for stylesheets to be developed for use in MI? Unless I am missing something of course?!

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/resources/carto-design/cartographic-stylesheets.html

• 2.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Posted 10-11-2017 09:30

You're not missing anything Alistair. There are repeated calls to OS to provide data in tab format. We have been working with them to try and deliver some settings for styling the OpenData. Then we could apply some MapBasic to alter the styles of individual features. We haven't got very far....?

• 3.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Posted 10-11-2017 09:40

Thanks John.... that's good that I am not missing something... But it sounds like your as frustrated as me! Could you keep this post updated with how you get on?

Ali

• 4.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Employee
    Posted 10-12-2017 06:55

Would it be possible to address this the other way around, @John Ievers? ?

Could we take the stylesheets from OS and convert these into a combination of MapBasic Query and Update statements or a workspace?

I haven't seen how complex these are and whether it even would be doable.

• 5.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Posted 10-12-2017 07:27

Has anyone devised a way of converting an SLD or QML style sheet @Peter Horsbøll Møller? ??

• 6.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Employee
    Posted 10-19-2017 09:41

I haven't come across this before John, so I doubt it.

But would it be easier just to create your own styling and basically ignore the one from Ordney Survey?

In that way you don't need to convert their SLD/QML style Sheet but could come up with an alternative way to apply styling to features.

• 7.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Posted 10-23-2017 10:22

?I have used the stylesheets that OS provide and then use FME to apply these a closely as possible (based on the fixed styles that are available within MapInfo Professional), saving the results as TAB.  One thing I am looking at is using either an external service (or one I create internally) to provide OS MM Topo as a web service, complete with the official styling for schema 9.

• 8.  RE: OS Open Data Stylesheets in MapInfo?

Posted 10-27-2017 11:56

Have you tried Europa Technologies Darren?

https://www.europa.uk.com/solutions/viaeuropa/