Automate

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Performance and use differences Transaction, Direct, and HANA Migration Cockpit

• 1.  Performance and use differences Transaction, Direct, and HANA Migration Cockpit

Posted 01-27-2022 18:39

Our company is transitioning a legacy non-SAP ERP system to SAP S/4 HANA and we currently have use of Studio and HANA Migration cockpit. From our initial limited use, HMC performs well and does require some mapping setup to run. In Studio, Transaction and Direct have been smooth to use as well. The Direct method definitely performs better when can find a BAPI or FM to use.  Transaction is slower than Direct, but I'm not sure how Direct performs with HMC.

We are trying to figure out at what point do we get a benefit from using HMC or the Direct method for doing data inserts? For example, If our object counts get above 5K, 50K, or maybe 500K, we should be looking at HMC or the Direct method to ensure timely performance. 

For a conversion that could use HMC, is there a benefit to scripting that in Studio either via Direct or Transaction methods vs using HMC.

I was hoping to get this groups experience. 

Thank you, Josh

------------------------------
    Josh Bawden | Information Management Engineer
    J.R. Simplot Company | 2083362110

• 2.  RE: Performance and use differences Transaction, Direct, and HANA Migration Cockpit

Employee
    Posted 01-28-2022 08:35
    Hi Josh,

People choose different methods for different reasons - here are some examples:
    • usability for the runner
    • ease of error handling for the runner
    • volume
    • ease of creating/adjusting the automation for the creator/developer

For Transaction vs BAPI, it's a skill set and preference. 
    • Transaction is simply easier to create for most 
    • Transaction is also a choice when it's customized and the BAPI does not include those fields (there are ways to add them in some BAPIs - extension type fields)
    • Access/permission to BAPIs - users may not have access and thus use Transaction
    • Some use BAPIs when automation in a Transaction is difficult, i.e. grids with no positioning - alternate units of measure, positioning in customer master for tax classes, etc
    • Some BAPIs  do an 'upsert' - update if exists or create if it doesn't - material master BAPIs do that nicely - no need for 2 scripts and/or IF logic
    • Some go to BAPIs for efficiencies - if you ever tried to post a sales order or PO, you'll know it does a ton of processing & checks and thus can be slower, so every efficiency is appreciated by our customers.  

For Studio vs HMC
    • There's a pretty big learning curve to create and use - not really geared toward business users - and likely extra permissions needed?
    • I would think that volume might be a consideration here.  While we can process up to 1M rows - a limit in Excel - some people prefer to use other tools when the volume gets  high.  A high number is also a bit subjective.  For some it could be 10's of thousands or it could be 100's of thousands.  The volume could affect the SAP system, although with Studio Manager or Evolve, you can schedule to run on the server off hours.  The volume could also be in relation to SAP session limits.

Hope that gives you some ideas of why people choose different tools.  I hope others jump in, as well, to give you their perspective.

Best Regards,
    Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    PSE | Winshuttle NA