MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Identify all address within polygon

Posted 02-24-2020 07:07
    Hello,

Not currently a mapinfo user, however I'm looking for a product that can identify all addresses within a polygon. I'd like to be able to export this and match addresses within my own database. Is mapinfo capable to do something like this?

To give a little more context, with the recent bushfires in australia, we would like to be able to identify customers who fall within the burn scar

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for such a question.

Thanks, Jim.

------------------------------
    Jim Muller
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Identify all address within polygon

Posted 02-24-2020 07:17
    Edited by Kobi Irom 02-24-2020 07:16
    Hi @Jim Muller,

Yes. This is exactly the type of thing that MapInfo Pro is built for.

The best option would be to purchase or get hands on an address point layer and select all the points that fall within the polygon. The availability of this information changes from country to country and even region to region. Depends on if you want free data (and if the free data is good enough to count on) or if you want to pay for exact and precise data.
    You can also query based on building polygons if you have those.

All this, and more, is possible with MIPro.

Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance with it.

Best,
    Kobi​

Kobi Irom
    Map42
    Ramat Gan

• 3.  RE: Identify all address within polygon

Employee
    Posted 02-24-2020 10:37
    Hi Kobi,
    MapInfo Pro can easily do this.  You should download the free trial and try it yourself.  Here's the link:

https://www.pitneybowes.com/au/mipro-free-trial.html

If you need help with this, you can post again and someone will respond.  

Regards,

Jim Stone
    Pitney Bowes
    Senior Product Manager, MapInfo Pro
    Reading, MA

• 4.  RE: Identify all address within polygon

Posted 02-25-2020 05:49
    That's great to hear. I've downloaded the trial version. Will give it a go, it sounds promising. 

Thanks for replying.

Jim Muller

• 5.  RE: Identify all address within polygon
    Best Answer

Employee
    Posted 02-25-2020 02:15

Here is a couple of examples to give you an idea of how easy this can be done.

I have to datasets open in a map in MapInfo Pro: Addresses (a point layer) and Urban Areas (a polygon layer).

Manually selecting the points via the map

I select the Boundary Selection tool

I click on the map inside the polygon that I want to select the addresses using.
    As soon as I have clicked, MapInfo Pro will use the polygon to select the points that fall inside it.

Select By Location

You can also use the Select By Location to compare all polygons in your polygon layer with all points in your address layer.
    This is useful if your polygon layer holds many polygons.

And now specify which layers to compare

You can again see the result as the addresses that a within have been highlighted.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data

• 6.  RE: Identify all address within polygon

Posted 02-25-2020 05:50
    This is perfect, thanks so much. Having a play around in the trial version as I type!

Jim Muller

• 7.  RE: Identify all address within polygon

Posted 03-09-2020 07:30
    Thanks for the walk-through, I've got it working to a point where I will now present to my management later this week. Fingers crossed all goes well.

One extra question, I'm working on a feature to have a secondary polygon that will be 5km from my first one, which will then give me a new table with all addresses within that polygon. I've been trying the buffer objects and buffer tables, but that just hightlights a bigger area (doesn't align to my original outline) and gives me a single selection when I export.

I'm after something like the below image. Am I on the right track with the buffer feature? 

Thanks for your time.

Jim Muller

• 8.  RE: Identify all address within polygon

Employee
    Posted 03-10-2020 06:58
    Hi Jim

I think I know what you are asking for and that is possible. But do let me know if I misunderstood your request.

When you have selected some addresses for example, based on a polygon in your map, they appear highlighted on the screen. But the will not appear highlighted if you print your result to a PDF or to an image.

To better show the selection, you can add it as a new layer to your map and change the style or color of these points. Let me show you what I mean.

1. You have selected some addresses. Notice that in the Explorer window on the left, I have a query called Selection.

2. You can drag that query into your map and in this way add this query as an extra layer to the map. Notice that the query gets the name changed when you add the layer to the map. If you browse your query, the same thing happens. As soon as you start interacting with the query called Selection, it gets renamed.

3. Now you can click on the small icon next to the query in the layer list and so change the display of the points.

4. You can use the Preview button or just hit OK to see the result of your changes

5. You can now select some new addresses and add these to the map in the same way but style them a bit different, maybe using a different color.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data