Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display.

Posted 04-13-2018 02:29

At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display. A while ago I created a simple layer to improve the display of network line and symbology when overlaid on aerial imagery. It is simply a solid white region which covers our council area in MapInfo, then uploaded to SSA. For lack of imagination and doing it quickly I just called it 'Transparency Canvas' willing to hear better alternatives. In the Admin Console I've added it to most configurations with 'Initial Visibility' off and 'Transparency' set to 75%.

In SSA it appears as;

See Attachment

Users can click on the three dots and as required raise or lower the Opacity, note the name change from Admin Console where it is Transparency so the values are inverse.

See AttachmentCanvas Off

See Attachment

Canvas On

Its a simple way to give back display dominance to the desired layers while also retaining the aerial imagery for the visual cue.

I think this could be better implemented by having a transparency slider next to the Base Map layers but this works for now.

• 2.  RE: At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display.

Posted 04-15-2018 01:56

Hi @William Dean

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I’m addIng my colleague

@Abhiraj Satarate

who leads the SSA User Experience to ensure he evaluates this request.

Regards

Andy

• 3.  RE: At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display.

Posted 04-15-2018 18:04

Hi @William Dean? , @Andy d'Andilly? ,@Abhiraj Satarate? 

Another way to achieve this is to add your base aerials map twice and set one of them to have 75% transparency?.

Then just swap between the base maps.

cheers

• 4.  RE: At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display.

Posted 04-15-2018 18:56

@Peter van Dijk? I had considered doing this but ultimately I'm not the end user and I don't always anticipate their needs well. Doing it this way gives them the fidelity to change the opacity on a personal / as needed basis rather than locking them into a predetermined value which may not be suitable.

• 5.  RE: At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display.

Posted 04-16-2018 02:48

To get a plain white background for our map, we added a WMS tile that didn't work. The map comes up blank and the program works fine. It covers as far you as scroll.

You switch between the tiles the same as before, but one is now blank

http://tile1.maps/aerial/{LEVEL}{ROW}{COL}.png

• 6.  RE: At times the presence of aerial imagery in a map can dominate the display.

Posted 04-24-2018 05:02

+1 for a user adjustable transparency option on all basemaps.