Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Corruption of Table Projection in Spatial Manager

Posted 03-08-2022 23:17
    Hello Colleagues,
    I hope someone can assist me to solve a very puzzling issue.
    I have created Stormwater Drainage tables in Spatial Manager then loaded them with the specified symbology from a Workspace using Upload Map.
    The tables are displayed in Spatial Manager with the correct projection:
    At a point in time I cannot determine the projection corrupts as shown below:
    This table appears in the correct position (reproject on the fly?) but when a feature is selected by Query it pans to a galaxy far, far away!

I have removed all Stormwater tables and recreated them elsewhere in the Repository. The correct projection appeared but they have recently corrupted again.

Any ideas would be MOST welcome.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    David Murphy
    SWAN HILL RURAL CITY COUNCIL
    Swan Hill VIC

• 2.  RE: Corruption of Table Projection in Spatial Manager

Posted 03-09-2022 00:25
    Hi David,

From what you say it appears you are carrying out the following steps in order:
    1. Creating the table resource manually within Spatial Manager; then
    2. Uploading the table settings via the Uploader tool in MapInfo.

Is it at the time of Step 2 that the coordinate system is overwritten?  (Perhaps not; perhaps Spatial Manager updates itself at some stage by retrieving the coordinate system from the MapInfo.MapInfo_MapCatalog database table).

First, if you are carrying out Step 1, is it actually necessary?  Step 2 is all that I do.  Secondly, the corrupted coordinate system clause shown is an outdated one.  The correct one for MGA should have a "116" instead of a"33".  I would check the original data source (using the Coordsys Bounds Manager MapInfo tool).  I would also check the MapInfo.MapInfo_MapCatalog Table in your spatial database (SQL Server?).  You could correct the projection there, or perhaps re-upload your source table (via EasyLoader) to your spatial database.  I might be on the wrong track with the MapCatalog Table but I think it is worth checking.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: Corruption of Table Projection in Spatial Manager

Posted 03-09-2022 16:12
    Hi David and James, 

James - I agree with your approach. I remember having this issue a few years back with a flat file. Precisely/PB engineering told me to change the projection info in the TAB file and re-upload. 

David can you try editing the mapinfo tab file in notepad ++ and then try re-uploading. Let me know how you go. 

Regards. Matt

Matt Smith
    The Spatial Distillery
    Sydney NSW

• 4.  RE: Corruption of Table Projection in Spatial Manager

Posted 03-09-2022 18:41
    Thanks Matt - it's good to have my approach corroborated!  David might find that to change the coordinate system of the Native-MI table a Save-Copy-As in MapInfo will be necessary.  Or export to MIF/MID, change the coordinate system in NotePad and import back in.

James Nolet
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: Corruption of Table Projection in Spatial Manager

Posted 03-09-2022 19:02
    Thank you James and Matt,
    Using the Coordsys Bounds Manager MapInfo tool put me on the right track. The result was very odd:
    The coordinate system shown in MapInfo is the Name: field but Spatial Manager shows the Clause: field with the wrong Datum code.
    I've performed a Save Copy As to Long/Lat GDA94 then back to MGA94 Zone 54 which seems to have fixed the issue.
    Thanks,

David Murphy
    SWAN HILL RURAL CITY COUNCIL
    Swan Hill VIC

• 6.  RE: Corruption of Table Projection in Spatial Manager

Posted 03-09-2022 20:16
    Hi David,

That datum code was valid for MGA projections 15 or 20 years ago.  It is still likely to be recognised within MapInfo Pro but not in SSA.

I'm glad to have helped.

James Nolet
    Mentone, VIC, Australia