Precisely Enterworks

View Only
  • 1.  Display a Hierarchy of Child Records from a Parent Record

Posted 01-20-2021 11:43

Does anyone know of a way to display a hierarchical child relationship on a parent record?

An example might be a bundle of SKUs under a Product.  If a SKU under a Product has a relationship to "child" SKUs, can that relationship be displayed on the Product record?  So the Product has a child SKU and that SKU has 2 child SKUs.  How could we display from the Product record the indented hierarchy of the SKU and the indented child(bundle) SKUs?
    We know we can list all the SKUs in a linked relationship on the Product record, but they are being displayed in a single list, we'd like to show them in an indented list so that it is more apparent that they are in a bundle.

It's almost like it would be a reverse summary grid that could be shown from the parent record instead of a summary grid that would show the parent's hierarchy at the child record.

Has anyone done anything like this?

------------------------------
    Joshua Swett | Applications Engineer
    Steelcase, Inc | 2696251984

• 2.  RE: Display a Hierarchy of Child Records from a Parent Record

Posted 01-21-2021 20:30
    Hi Joshua,

Are you looking to do something like what I'm showing in my screen shot?

1. I have a view at the top which shows all SKU records that are attached to the master product record.
    2. I also have a scheduled process that uses SQL to pull the SKU numbers into a field, separated by a comma. This allows for us to use SKU numbers to find product records without having to resort to using Advanced Search. The field has an arrow pointing at it at the bottom of the screen shot.

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead
    Fender Musical Instruments | 480-845-5823

• 3.  RE: Display a Hierarchy of Child Records from a Parent Record

Posted 01-21-2021 20:31
      |   view attached
    Helps to attach the file. :-)

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead

• 4.  RE: Display a Hierarchy of Child Records from a Parent Record

Posted 01-26-2021 09:09
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the response!
    This is kind of along the lines of one of the potential ways to represent the indented list of bundles that we were also thinking about.  Where we'd have a list of actual SKUs above a SQL generated field that shows the child bundles and their indented hierarchy.  That would at least give the users the ability to quickly/easily tell if there are bundles below it and what the bundle components are instead of seeing all SKUs at the same level in the link grid.  You said you update your SKU list field on a scheduled basis - do you find it's frequent enough for the users searching for new SKUs?

Thanks again!
    Josh

Joshua Swett | Applications Engineer
    Steelcase, Inc | 2696251984

• 5.  RE: Display a Hierarchy of Child Records from a Parent Record

Posted 01-26-2021 10:05
    Hi Josh,

We tend to have builds occur in our PIM system on a regular basis. So much so that I have the automated job run at 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm during business days. This allows for new or changed SKU records to be recognized in the Product records. As I said in my last post, this was to add the functionality of being able to search for Product records by SKU Number within the Product repository. Before then, a user would have needed to actually know the Product Number itself to find the record or use Advanced Search to find records via SKU Number. This wasn't convenient for our users and even my team and I would occasionally run into this.  So we came up with this solution and it has made it that much easier to find what we're looking for.

As simple of a fix this was, it has made a huge difference for our users and is one of the best things that we've programmed into the system to date.

I am a little fuzzy on what you're trying to accomplish but happy to continue to help you to find your solution. 

Best,
    -Jon

Jonathan Varo | PIM Lead

• 6.  RE: Display a Hierarchy of Child Records from a Parent Record

Employee
    Posted 01-31-2021 19:41
    Josh,

If you are looking to provide some sort of read-only report (one in which the user would not be able to navigate to linked records nor make any changes), then one option might be to implement a custom action for a repository.  This is in the form of a JSP page, which can be configured to access EnterWorks content with SQL queries or API calls that would retrieve the database based on the record being edited and then present it in a pop-up HTML window.  If you are using the 2020 UI, then the custom action would be in the form of an HTML page and would need to use the REST APIs to access any linked information (and may require a series of calls to retrieve all of the information to be displayed).  There are examples of creating custom actions for either UI that can be used as a starting point. 

If you need the list being presented to be navigable and/or editable, then you are limited to what can be presented in a Link Relationship for the repository.

-Brian

Brian Zupke | Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Winshuttle North America | 9099009179