All Things Location

View Only
  • 1.  Maps are Cool...especially for Travelers

Posted 04-22-2019 14:24
    I'm fascinated by the in-flight maps that are on airlines. But there has not been much improvement to the information displayed other than the basics of destination time, speed, real-time location, and altitude. But maps are getting much-needed enhancements according to the Wall Street Journal (you may need a subscription to read).
    "Now manufacturers are giving maps a makeover. You'll be able to get encyclopedic details on Mount Fuji as you fly past, track your spouse's flight from your seat and zoom in for details on points of interest like the top 10 rides at Disneyland compiled from social media. The map will be loaded with data about your flight, down to which languages flight attendants onboard speak, when dinner will be served and how long you'll be in Brazilian airspace."

I, for one...can't wait.

------------------------------
    Joe Francica
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 2.  RE: Maps are Cool...especially for Travelers

Employee
    Posted 04-25-2019 16:05
    I love the in-flight maps too.  They're fascinating...especially on a clear day.  Here's a photo I snapped of one last year on a Delta flight from Boston, MA to Los Angeles, CA paired with an image of the ground below at the time.  Moving from this type of flight map to something more intelligent will be excellent.

Cecily Herzig
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Maitland FL

• 3.  RE: Maps are Cool...especially for Travelers

Employee
    Posted 04-30-2019 04:56
    I'd love to get a map showing me how to get from the gate I land at to the gate of my connecting flight.
    And of course also be told how long time to expect for this journey.

Think tomtom/ for airports that guides me on the fastest path and helps me avoid the traffic jams, if possible.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 4.  RE: Maps are Cool...especially for Travelers

Posted 05-01-2019 11:19
    Edited by Dave Andrews 05-01-2019 11:21
    Yep, delivered through your retina implanted screen so you don't need to stop and look at your phone at every turn. My new car has an awesome heads up display that makes the navigation system so much easier to use, which choose now over google maps (still keep waze on for obvious reasons).

I was thinking a AR app on a phone could work with the ground images and maps on the seat displays, but of course bandwidth in the skies is abysmal.

Dave Andrews
    Pitney Bowes Inc
    Stamford CT